New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady-Speer-Barnes & RL 19
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to use up some of the near empty cans of some of my powders that I have had for 10 or more year. Powders include H870, H4831 and RL 19
I am loading for my 25-06 and I noticed a big difference in starting and max powder charges from the different manuals for RL 19 using 100gr
bullets. Barnes and Speer have the same starting and max loads. Both show a starting load (for different bullets) that is higher than the maximun published load from the Hornady manual. The max loads for the Barnes and Speer manual are almost 6 grains more than the Hornady manual. All 3 manuals are older but so is the RL 19. Why the big difference?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my .257R, Hornady book info shows a max that is almost 4 grains over every other manufacturers max with RL19. I have no idea why, but the max in my rifle, with RL19, matches up with Sierra, Speer, Swift, etc. book info, eventhough I am using Hornady projectiles. Hornady max is 47.2grns, every other manufacturer 43-44grns of RL19.

All I can tell you is to work up slowly and carefully, and inspect your fired brass.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. I pulled my records. I fired some Federal factory 100gr Barnes XLCs at an average MV of 3220FPS. Using 57.0 grains of RL 19 and 100grain XLCs MV was 3239. With 100grain Nosler BTs and 53.0 grains of RL.19 MV was 3254 average. Different bullets can sure make a difference.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Different bullets can sure make a difference.

Bullets bearing surface on the barrel is different between bullets. An all copper bullet, compared to a pure lead core bullet, will have an effect on pressure. There are so many different bullet types available today, you should always use a starting load and work up. Trying to match factory velocity with hand loads can be a dangerous method of working up a load.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
When I am trying to kill a couple partial cans of powder I usually look for the lowest starting load for a given powder and load them all up with that. Makes for fun plinking loads.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
quote:

Bullets bearing surface on the barrel is different between bullets. An all copper bullet, compared to a pure lead core bullet, will have an effect on pressure. There are so many different bullet types available today, you should always use a starting load and work up. Trying to match factory velocity with hand loads can be a dangerous method of working up a load.

I did not start with those loads I just mean that I was using the same bullet in a factory load as guide of when to stop if no pressure signs were shown. What I was getting at is 3 manuals have starting loads that are above the maximum charge shown in the Hornady Manual and all three have a maximum charge that is almost 6 grains above the maximum for the Hornady manual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the same problem with the hornady 223 data. chronographed max loads were below published 22 hornet velocities. I use speer,lee or nosler data and work up. The hornady book is a waste of money.in my opinion

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I was getting at is 3 manuals have starting loads that are above the maximum charge shown in the Hornady Manual and all three have a maximum charge that is almost 6 grains above the maximum for the Hornady manual.

Different bullets, different pressure.Different firearms,different testing methods, different chambers.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
quote:

. An all copper bullet, compared to a pure lead core bullet, will have an effect on pressure. ]

Normaly I dont care about variations among particular bullets because I use all lead core bullets and always work up my loads. But I agree with the above statement wholeheartedly. In fact I would suggest even bumping down the Minimum loads for solid copper slugs a grain or two in most cases.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote