New
Find
Notify
Tools

factory "dud"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I apologize that this is not technically a reloading question, but I hoped some of you might have insight into my problem. I own a Win M70 in .375 H&H which has never liked factory ammo other than the Fed Classic 270 Hi-Shok load (consistent 1/2" groups @ 100). I have probably put close to 200 rounds through the rifle, with never a feeding, firing or extraction problem. All other factory fodder shoots 1 3/4" or larger groups at 100 yards. I found a dusty pile of PMC .375 loads with 300 grain Barnes X bullets at my local gunshop. These are the uncoated X bullets, not the current PMC production loaded with XLCs. Sure enough, the first three shot group measured 3/4". When I went to fire my second group, the second cartridge did not ignite. I waited a few seconds and ejected the cartridge. There is a decent looking dent in the primer. I dropped another cartridge into the magazine, and fired another 3/4" group. Given that I would like to take this rifle to Africa and potentially hunt Cape buffalo, I obviously do not want to take a chance that my ammo could fail me at the worst possible moment. Any ideas as to how to determine whether this was a one-time fluke (other than the obvious suggestion to keep shooting more of it and see if it happens again). If I could convince myself that this was a fluke, since this load has been discontinued, I would go search for 5-10 boxes and rely upon it for heavy duty work. Thanks for the help

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend had a 30-30 factory round go "click" instead of "boom" a few years ago. It cost him a doe whitetail. I urged him to return the cartridge to the manufacturer with a request for an explanation - dud primer, wet powder, too light firing pin blow, or whatever.

I fugured that they'd at least be red-faced enough to give him a box or two of free ammo.

I'd suggest the same to you. You may learn something valuable, or you may get a box or two of free ammo, maybe even both!

BigIron

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem with a box of factory .44 Special from Federal. This at the time when Federal was the only manufacturer placing good defensive loads on the market for the .44 Special.

3 of the 50 did not fire. I sent a letter to Federal, along with the defective cartridges asking for a reply.

Never got one...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I'd do as you suggested in your last sentence. Go get some more of it, or something else (doesn't Federal offer Premiums with X's?) and try it until you're convinced it was a one-time thing. A DG rifle, like a defensive handgun, MUST go bang, every time, otherwise it just makes a nice graveside ornament (I read that in a Ross Seyfried article one time, and have been itching to use it ever since [Smile] ).

Especially since you've had no such incidents before or since, and, assuming you've checked the firing pin for burrs/weird stuff, and the rest of the fire control mechanism for other mechanical ailments, it was just a one time thing.

As numerous other posters have mentioned, factory duds aren't uncommon. Most, like mine, have occurred on game, though not toothy/clawy game, thank God.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one or two factory duds in my life. Never had one at a bad time all on the range. You can just hope nothing is trying to eat you when it happens.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
bolt may be dirty, clean the bolt , or spray with wd-40

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was on the range when a .44 Mag factory load failed to fire in a Desert Eagle, but totally jammed the piece shut. When the gun was finally opened by a smith, he found that the case had been manufacutred without a flash hole and the exploding primer had no place to go so it jammed the bolt.

Luckily my buddy (who owned the piece) actually got Remington to pay for his smith charges and a new box of rounds.

These things do happen.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a factory dud, but I have had a blown primer on a factory Remington round. It was in a Ruger #1 in 22-250. When I ejected the round I noticed dark streaks all around the primer. I knew that I'd had a problem but when I examined the rifle I didnt find any damage. A few months later I took that rifle to a gunsmith for a trigger job and when he saw the etching on the face of the breech block he chewed my ass good for loading too hot. I dont think I ever convinced him that it came from a factory load. I dont know if it was loaded with a heavy powder charge or the primer pocket was too big or what.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a Federal .45 auto cartridge go poof once. Obviously primer but no powder. Luckily I notice that the bullet had stuck in the barrel about half way down.......... Things would have gotten real western if I had chambered the next round.

By the way WD40 and guns do not mix AT ALL. Great for taken off bumper stickers but poor for cleaning/lubing guns.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's face it,
Ammo isn't perfect, but close enough that when it does misfire- it really gets your attention. But we are still talking about mechanical items here. Lots of those old dusty boxes sitting on a shelf or in the garage or basement have been improperly stored and that may lead to misfires. I've had surplus 303 and 8x57 mauser that had boxes with as much as 50% misfire rate, combinations of poor components and poor storage. But I've also got some WWII issue 30 carbine ammo that has been properly stored in GI ammo cans that goes bang every time as well as a pile of 1930s vintage 300 savage ammo similarly stored the also goes bang every time.
regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make your own, in the 32 yrs I've been reloading the only ammo I've seen fail was, a federal .270 win in a TC aristocrat I had bought and was given the ammo well it shot well on paper so I used it on the deer season opener. First round went click and the 8pt got away. I looked it over the primer went off (blackened around the pocket.) so I tore the bullet out, plenty of powder but no flash hole. Federal sent me a box of ammo. They recalled the whole lot my ammo came from. One other time, this one I caught, I was given a box of RP 30-30 with a new rifle I bought, one primer in backwards. Custom made ammo, for your rifle when properly made is more reliable than any factory ammo. I just would not go after a cape buff with something I was not 100% sure of. You never know when quality control will have a glitch. How many times have you heard of a ammo recall? If you read the gun rags I do, a quite a bit. First and foremost make real sure it is not the fault of your rifle, clean and inspect your bolt assembly. Make sure you have no lube at all in there unless you are going to store it. When ole buff comes to play it is for keeps.Enough said.

[ 12-06-2003, 03:26: Message edited by: Swany ]

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 243. Take your bolt apart and clean thouroughly. Degrease( derust if necessary ) and then lube with something like tri-tek gun grease.

I had a marlin that wouldn't fire 1 or 2 out of 20 rounds. I thought it was the ammo because the primers looked like they had been struck pretty good, but all it needed was a good cleaning. Some primer cups are harder than others too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a Firearms Instructor for my Dept I'm around many,many thousands of rounds of factory pistol ammo being fired each year. In twenty plus years I've seen maybe THREE rds that were factory dud's. Good, hard hammer strikes yet the primer did not go off on two, one flat had NO POWDER.

Sad deal though was last year I had a new HK Tactical in .45 auto that was damaged by a factory rd that was apparently a +P+++. Blew through the ctg case forcing hot gases down through the magazine and mag well. Split the plastic (polymer) fame in four places, ruined the mag and scared the hell out of me. Wrote Federal and never received a reply. HK did a good job though and fixed the pistol for a very reasonable amount.

Nothing is 100%.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote