New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 "pulls"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i am looking aty buying some 30-06 mil spec ammo from a company called "Dpwn Range, Inc. Summit Manufacturing" form Gedsden, AL. the ammo has been loaded using AA2230 and military bullets which are pulls. they say that there are no visible pull marks, which i assume means that they are not deformed, or at least insignificantly so. my question is this.......ignoring all else, does using the pulls degrade accuracy enough to make the ammo unsatisfactory? to me standard military surplus accuracy is fine.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Bill- I don't know what type of rifle you are shooting. But I have used pulled bullets in my M48a mauser in 8x57. I had heard that the Turk ammo was loaded hot, susceptable to possible powder degradation, and horribly corrosive. So I pulled the bullets, and chucked the brass and powder. Loaded up in REmington cases with Imr 4064.

The Hornady bullet puller did leave some marks, and the bullets themselves were already somewhat deformed from the loading crimp. These loads shot into about 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds. My handloads with commercial bullets have been in the 2-3 inch range.

I would guess that you will get acceptable military with that ammo.

CAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
isn't 2230 kinda fast to be loading in a 30-06? its original use was in .223 gi rifles.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
AA-2230 will work just fine in the '06, from bullets weighing 90 grains to 225 grains...

It isn't the "best" powder, but it is functional.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote