To Crimp or Not to Crimp 375?
 Login/Join

<rws2>
posted
Does one need to crimp 375 H&H?

one of us
posted Hide Post
rws2,

When I asked this question when getting my loads ready, it was met with a resounding "YES". I use a 'Lee' crimp die which gives you a lot of control over the crimp.

There was a velocity change with my .416 Rigby. I dropped the powder charge to get the velocity that I was getting before the crimp. Not so much with the .375 H&H. There was some, but not as much as the .416

Good luck,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Ok Thanks!
I assumed that would be the answer but I figured it could never hurt to ask!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimp by all means. Really roll the case mouth into the cannelure, makes the cartridges feed better in addition to holding the bullets in place.

Use the Lee crimp die, it is the best. And inexpensive.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Crimp by all means. Really roll the case mouth into the cannelure, makes the cartridges feed better in addition to holding the bullets in place.

Use the Lee crimp die, it is the best. And inexpensive.

I agree that the Lee Factory Crimp Die is the best and that it is inexpensive. But you don't need to crimp on the cannelure when using this die -- you can seat the bullet to any depth you choose and then crimp it there, whether or not the case mouth is at the cannelure, and whether ot not the bullet has a cannelure.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you check out Saeed's results from his tests of crimped vs. uncrimped loads. Those results are given elsewhere in AR. Saeed's tests show a small but measurable increase in accuracy with crimping, using the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. So crimping may be advantageous even for target shooting with smaller calibers.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an undersize expander ball for a tight neck and a powder that fills the case to the neck junction at least, then a very light crimp on all DG calibers...more crimp on the 45 and 50s....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the old guy from Idaho...polishing a few thousandths off the expander ball and use a very, very little crimp.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Thanks Everyone!
I'm reading and learning I appreciate all of your help.rws2