New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300 RUM 220g SMK range results
 Login/Join

posted
Fifty Driver,

I would like to tell you that I had the action of my 300 RUM fully printed, but I did not. I had the lugs and face squared on the bolt, I had the trigger worked to 3 lbs. and the rifle pillar bedded (because the bedding was awful from the factory, in fact in touched on one side and had a huge gap on the other), and he did put a nice target crown on the barrel for me. Total charge: $77.00. My gun plumber is an old salt that's working on guns longer than I've been alive. He hates talking, but he seems to know his way around a rifle.

I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to answer my questions. I will continue to shoot the rifle as is, possibly investing in new recoil lugs (as you recommended), but I see no point in putting a new barrel on until I have shot out the old one (just as you said). Look forward to your next post.

C. Johnson

Posts: 7 | Location: West Branch, MI | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been a most interesting read for me. I have narrowed my load development for my .300 Winchester Mag down to the 200 grain Nosler Accubond propelled by 80.0 grains of H1000. I have wanted to do some more testing with it in relation to seating depth and this post has me determined to do this testing at a distance greater than the usual 100 yards. What I am wondering is if 200 yards is enough to let the bullet go to "sleep" and show me the true potential of each seating depth. I could go 300 yards, but I am worried about what any wind would start to do to groups at that point. I know that wind will play a part in group size no matter the distance, but it seems that 200 yards would be a happy medium for distance. How do you guys feel about that. Also, I live in Idaho...the wind always blows...so what is an acceptable level to shoot in? I always try to go out on days that seem calm, but when I get there there is almost always a breeze .

Also, there has been some mention of VLD bullets on this post. What exactly is a VLD bullet? Does the accubond fall in this class?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300winnie,

To answer your question about which range to shoot, I fully recommend the longest range possible if conditions are good for such testing.

if it is calm, I do all my testing at my 500 yard range but jsut as you haev in Idaho, Montana is also very windy. Thing is that even at 200 yards the wind will play a factor in your groups if it is blowing much over 5 mph.

So to answer your question, 200 yards is much better then 100 yard testing but 300 is still much better. I have found the best time to test loads is very early in the morning jsut as the sun is high enough to provide good shooting light. IT is generally calm, there is no mirage to read and in the case of my range where I shoot to the west, the on target light is amazingly sharp and clear.

So yes, 200 yards is enough to get a decent idea of what your loads will do. If conditions are good though, take it out to 300 yards and the differences will be easier to measure.

Now about your bullet question. THe abbreviation VLD stands for Very Low Drag. These bullets are made for one thing and one thing only, very high ballistic coefficent for the best performance at the longest ranges.

These bullets have very long and sharp nose profiles that generally end in a very tight hollow point nose. They also have long full diameter body sections and a very long tapered boat tail design.

Bullets that fall into this catagory are all of the Sierra matchking bullets except the 52 and 53 gr .224" and the 70 gr .243" matchking. Also the larger caliber heavy Hornady A-Max bullets or of VLD design. Berger also has an extensive line of VLD as does Lapua.

Yor Nosler Accubond is sort of a high bred VLD. It offers good ballistic Coefficent numbers while still being able to be seated and fed from the magazine of a typical hunting rifle. IT will not buck the wind quite as well as a true VLD design such as a 200 gr Matchking but it will perform on game better.

From my testing they also seem to shoot really well at long range, even out to 1000 yards if the velocity is kept super sonic which with your 300 Win, it certainly will be.

SO to answer your question the Accubond, along with the Ballistic Tip, Ballistic Silvertip, SST and Interbond are all high breds of the VLD and hunting bullet.

Hope this explained it a little for you!

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1/2 moa,

If your smith has been at it that long and still in business, I'm sure he trued up anything that needed to be trued. Sometimes, not everything needs machining and obviously since your rifle is shooting well, everything must be in good shape.

Shoot it till she won't shoot good any more then spend the money on a match grade barrel and you'll have a great shooter again.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote