Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-bolt 300wsm
 Login/Join

posted
Any luck reloading for this gun? Does the 23" barrel affect anything? I am having a tough time dialing it in. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What grain bullets are you trying? Some of the 300 WSM just don't work with 150 grains. The 165 work in most and some have a very strong preference for 180 grain. The all copper bullets seem to work better in the 165 grain, because they are longer and less dense than the lead based bullets. VV N550 or VV N160 work good for me. what kind of powders do you have on hand?

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
Any luck reloading for this gun? Does the 23" barrel affect anything? I am having a tough time dialing it in. Any help would be appreciated.

More details please. The 300 WSM is a fine cartridge and the A-Bolt can shoot. Tell us what you have done and tried so far. Also include important stuff like scope, mounts, bedding, free floating etc.etc.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend has the A-bolt in 300WSM and loads 66 grains of IMR4350 in Winchester brass with a WMLR primer and 165 grain Hornady boattail bullet. I know this because I used the same load in my Tikka T3 in this caliber. It gives 3000 ft/sec over my chronograph and gives sub .75" groups at 100 yds. off a solid rest. He and I played with some slightly slower powders with this bullet but the performance dropped off so we just stayed with this load because it works.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bullets:

Combined Tech 150 & 168 SBTs with RL22 and 760 COAL of 2.850 ... no luck.

Speer 165 BT w/COAL 2.850 ... no luck.

Speer 180 Spitzer with RL22, 760, H380. COAL of 2.800, 2.820 ... no luck

Going to try some Sierra 175gr MK tomorrow. Always use Fed Mag Primers. Very tedious with case prep, so I don't know why I can't get any better than 1.25" MOA.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:

More details please. The 300 WSM is a fine cartridge and the A-Bolt can shoot. Tell us what you have done and tried so far. Also include important stuff like scope, mounts, bedding, free floating etc.etc.

Scope - Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x40
Mounts - Leupold
Custom Muzzle Brake
No aftermarket bedding or floating other than stock.
Shooting 5 shot group (3 in a row, 5 minute cooling, 2 more shots)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked that barrel with a dollar bill, cold vs hot?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Mram, I load for a buddy's 300 WSM Abolt. Play with bullet depth. Find your best grouping load in any of the ones you have tried. Although in his 150's shot the worst. We could only get about a 1 inch group best with them.

Pick the Speers or whatever and the load the grouped best. Then play with depth. Start from the lands and work backward or the other way. If it is a max load then I would work the other way because the closer to the lands to more pressure you may get.

I found that his Abolt like is .05 off the lands. We never tried Speer but we got Sierra, and Noslers of all types to group at an inch or under from 165 to 180.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also try plain large rifle primers, I have found 300 wsm shoot tighter group with non mag primers with medium fast powders.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crashcarruthers:
Also try plain large rifle primers, I have found 300 wsm shoot tighter group with non mag primers with medium fast powders.

this is a good point, I have seen this several times as well.

as another point, my friend had an A-bolt 300 WSM and got rid of it because it broke scope mounts like a bitch, not really noticeable, but with about 30 shots it would tear up Leupold Dual Dovetails. I am a Talley man whenever possible, but he never tried those--maybe worth a check, they are tough on scopes too.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crashcarruthers:

I use LR primers in my 300WSM with good results as well.

posted Hide Post
How big of groups are we talkin? Does it shoot factory ammo well?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, If you are asking me: Mine is a trues Savage action w. a 1" McGowen tube fully bedded in a McMillian A3 tacticoooool Roll Eyes stock.

I get 1/2" groups w. 168SMK, 175SMK. Haven't tried any hunting booolits yet.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
I agree with others re the non mag primers.

Here is a target from my 300WSM (semi custom Sako 85) and you can see that the non mag primers make a big difference.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well actually I was asking MRAMSAY10....

but now you got me intrested! What type(s) of powder are you guys using along with the LR primers

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is good to go with IMR4007SSC, IMR4350, and W760.

posted Hide Post
Ken,
Just got back from Elk hunting. Some group are 1.5". Not good at all. I need to lighten the trigger with a new spring, because the stock is as light as it will go, yet still too tight. As for primers, I will take my best load and try the LR primers. I will shoot this week and update you.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
I am using N560 and 74 grns behind a 165 grn BT.

Just at the weekend tried 180 grn BT behind 70 grns of N560 and both 3 shot groups were sub half. Same primer btw a non mag Rem 9.5

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Picking the gun up from the gunsmith this weekend. I will try the good loads with standard rifle primers and see if it makes a difference.