Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for VECTAN powder load data
 Login/Join

Picture of sporos9268
posted
Hello! I want to reload:
1).303 British cartridges with 150gr - 200gr FMJ and 160gr cast bullets.
2).22 Hornet cartridges with 35gr Hornady V-MAX and 49gr cast bullets.
3)9mm Luger cartridges with 100gr - 125gr cast bullets.
The only powder i can obtain is A1 and A0 by VECTAN.
I managed to find some load data for 9mm Luger, but i can't
find for .303 and .22!
Can anyone help me?
Thank you!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Vectan A1 and AO are flake single base pistol powders and not really conceived for cartridges like the 303 British.

This said, for your cast bullet in the 22 Hornet I think a good guesstimate would be to start around 3.4 (I'M TALKING ABOUT GRAINS, NOT GRAMS!) and go up to perhaps 3.7 grains of A0 for the cast bullet. This would be about 0.22 grams to 0.24 grams. I would be very cautious. The AI is too fast in my opinion for the 22 Hornet.

My guesstimate for the cast bullet in the 303 would be to start around 10 grains (0.68 grams), maybe getting up to 12 grains (0.78 grams) if things look OK. You're going to have a lot of air space in the cartridge, you should probably use a filler.

These are definitely NOT the most appropriate French powders for those calibers. I would not use those powders for jacketed bullets, even if you can find a load which gets them out of the end of the barrel; they're just not made for rifle ammunition. Where are you that the only powders you can get are two French pistol powders? Your powder dealer needs to accidently get some Vectan Tubal 3000 for your .303 British and some Vectan SP3 for the .22 Hornet, if you want to shoot jacketed bullets and if you are selecting from a French menu.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of sporos9268
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies! I live in Greece and the only powder shops have is shotgun powder. Rifled guns are forbidden in my country, reloading too Frowner .So i am a little illegal but guns and shooting is my passion and i cant live whithout it Smiler
i feel that I've become a riflepowder junkie CRYBABY I will pay double or triple price if anyone would send me riflepowder!!!
Companies dont shipp any Frowner
( sporos9268@yahoo.com )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sporos, sending you reloading powders could be very dangerous nowadays shocker

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Purchasing powders, in most European countries, requires at a minimum an identity card and in many countries, such as France, proof of membership in a gun club and other such nonsense. For an individual to ship powders is pretty much excluded. I hear Albanians do brisk business in just about anything one wants.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of sporos9268
posted Hide Post
It is very easy to shipp almost anything you want, if you change the packing case or label!!!
Two weeks ago i was in Italy on vacation,
although i didnt managed to buy powder i bought
a few thousands small pistol primers. I tag the
boxes with labels "dental materials" (and some fake data) preprinted at home, put them in a
box in frond of post-office clerk eyes and send
it to my home address in Greece Wink It was waiting for me back home!!!