Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet tension
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
What tension do you like on the bullets?
I was reloading a batch of 25/06's and found that the bullets on some of the cartrages seated harder than others . I measured every thing I could think of. used a "f" drill bit .256, and all the necks seem the same. What are you ideas.
Thanks Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like sone of the necks have work-hardned more than the others. You might consider annealing the necks on them before reloading them again.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I've seen this with brand new brass. I use a lyman M die to expand all those "crinkled"
"new" necks. You can feel that some are just plain tighter than others. You can even run the mandrel down into them another time and they still feel tighter than the others that only took one stroke. This happens with winchester and remington brass and even occasionally with federal gold medal match. I don't know that these differences are "measurable". I think they are just plain "feelable". One last comment, I WILL NOT RELOAD unless I chamfer with a k&m low profile case mouth deburrer.
You can get them direct from K&M or from lock stock and barrel. You will NEVER scratch another bullet if you use this tool, AND it makes getting your bullet started very very consistant. It's a MUST with coated bullets too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some harder seated than others,annealing will probably help,I dont know if you are near max. load or not,necks have work-hardened more than others,is this was always the same thing,new cases,once fired ones,two etc.,neck sizing or FL sizing,COL,is it a lot different from most of the bullets,low angle chamfer tool can help.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
We're assuming uniform brass -- all the same head stamps, same production lot, same number of times fired. (My buddies don't do this.)

Neck turning will make the case wall uniform and improve concentricity of tension. It also better centers the bullet in the bore. Neck turning helps prevent splits in the thin spots on the neck.

Annealing sounds like a solution. Varmin't Al thinks that tumbling cases to clean them contributes to work hardening the necks as they rattle against each other. This makes sense to me.

Al discusses this at length --

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/arelo.htm

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved