New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ruger range report and question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New 375 Ruger Alaskan with the 20" barrel. I worked up loads with a 300 grain DGS solid using H4350. At 73 gr, the accuracy was outstanding. I shot a 0.41" 3 shot group but velocity was barely over 2300 fps. I worked up to the max listed 79.4 gr in the Hornady manual. Moving up, the velocity increase but accuracy suffered. Groups were over an inch at max with a velocity at 2490 fps. Not to mention a substantial increase in blast, muzzle lift, and recoil well in excess of what I would expect for 150 fps.

Given the above, does this suggest a slightly faster or slower powder may be a better bet for obtaining the best accuracy at higher velocity? I guess I have been lucky in the past as in each case accuracy was always best or roughly equivalent near max loads.

Not that I am complaining, but the accuracy and consistency of velocity at 73-74 grains was outstanding and showed the true potential of the rifle.

Anyone care to share their pet loads.

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Try a faster powder; you ae working with a short barrel. But 300 gr at 2300 fps is just fine for everything unless you are shooting at very long ranges (>250 yds)

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 79 gr of H 4350, with 300 gr Hornady RN, in my 20" LH 375 Ruger 2580 FPS .83" at 100 yards

Sent you a PM with access to my data

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Give RL-17 a try. You should see much better velocity.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good performance in Ruger Alaskan with both RL-15 and Varget....

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote