THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .200thou bearing in 308 enough for good function?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.200thou bearing in 308 enough for good function?
 Login/Join

posted
With 150 Grain Ballistic tip I need to seat the bullet near the rifling to get good accuracy. In order to do this in my .308 win I only get contact in the neck of about .180 to .200 thou (not including the boat tail). It seems fine for hunting....any comments.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer more. The general rule of thumb is to seat as deep as the diameter of the bullet. I like to be sure the bullet held firmly in the case, especially in hunting loads where ammo can take a beating. When loading target ammo a little less neck tension / seating depth can be tolerated. (some guns accually shoot better with lighter bullet pull)
The only way to tell if your ammo will be OK is by trying it. If the bullets stay in place and no run out developes you`re probably fine.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot em and find out. I think you'll be fine but it will be a match of barrel harmonics that will or won't make the grade. I've been shooting 55 grain bt's in my .243. You barely get them seated and they never seat straight--horrible runnout--many times up to .007" and worse. RESULT: .75" accuracy and under. YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU SHOOT EM. A friend of mine lives in the country and shoots crows with the same load out to 300 yds. I think his record is knocking 3 crows down with 1 shot--apparently "flying crow bits" make pretty good projectiles too!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats the thing, they only shoot great with this shallow seating. I was thinking there may be a downside....Durability maybe?