Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Hand Press
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted
Hello, I reload the calibre 458 Lott, but I want you to ask for a recharge press. I am talking about the Lee Handgun press Reloader press. I would like a cheap, press and the circumstances in my country is that the State does not allow buying more than one kilogram of gunpowder each year. I therefore believe that I will not need a more sophisticated press to reload the 458 lott. My question is: is this press for this calibre valid?.

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I may be incorrect, but I believe that the 458 lott cases take a good amount of force to resize. But being a straight wall case, it may be possible, as these were to be used with neck sizing dies.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe we've generated some confusion regarding which Lee press you're considering: Reloader or Classic Loader. Fact is, neither of those is appropriate for the cartridge you want to load. The Lott is between a Winchester magnum and H&H magnum in length. With the powder capacity of that load and limited powder available, your press won't see a lot (sorry) of use; it's easy to understand your reluctance to invest heavily in a tool.

Actually, and I never do this, I'll suggest Lee's Classic Cast press for you, simply because it's strong and the cheapest large press available. While it's three times the cost of what you're considering, it's also half the cost of a better large press. Many use it successfully, although like all Lee products, it's subject to production variances.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oscar, I believe, is asking if the Lee Hand Press is suitable for resizing the Lott case.

Well, I just plagued myself trying to full length resize a 375 H&H case. Did I succeed? Yes. But I would NEVER do it again except in an emergency. This press in NOT ergonomically designed for that much pressure...I couldn't do it with hand pressure alone. I had to rest the hand press on the bench sideways, and press down with my chest on the lever resting on both hands to get it to fully resize.

Buy some kind of bench mounted press, Oscar. It's not a question of sophistication so much as strength. The Lee Hand Press was never designed to resize really big cases. I only use it to fully seat bullets at the rifle range when working up loads. For that it works just fine.

This Lee Press is one inexpensive choice.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hello and thank you, I consider purchasing a more appropriate for the calibre I load press. I liked the press that onefunzr2 has said. I guardaré some EUR and will try to buy a more robust módelo and to facilitate the recharge. Thank you.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
I liked the press that onefunzr2 has said.

I started to post earlier regarding the press you are considering, and now I will.

That press is aluminum. If you do get it, be sure and use an excellent case lube like Imperial or Hornady's Unique. Mink oil for leather goods will also serve, as will paste shoe polish. You do not want to have to exert excessive pressure while sizing your brass. The press will flex and can be bent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
The press will flex and can be bent.

Are you speaking from experience?

Oscar asked for an inexpensive press. I gave him a suggestion. That suggestion was based on my Dillon "O" frame press being made from alloy. It doesn't flex or bend. Why would the Lee be different?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Lee hand press is a cheap pot metal alloy and not very strong..I would not recommend it for loading the Lott..

The Lee Cast Classic is an "O" frame press made I believe from recycled railway ties: I'm not sure if that makes it cast iron or cast steel or somewhere in between??? Whichever, it is many times stronger than a potmetal alloy press..

I haven't used one, but from what I have seen the Cast Classic is a very good press at a reasonable price and is far better suited to reloading the Lott..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I take note of everything you say. I do not want to spend my money for nothing, so I'll try to save a few euros more and buy something that is being served. Wink

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the State does not allow buying more than one kilogram of gunpowder each year.

You have my sympathies. Any possibility you can emigrate to the States? We are looking for people who love Freedom to offset the Boogadent we elected who hates it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
The Lee Cast Classic is an "O" frame press made I believe from recycled railway ties : I'm not sure if that makes it cast iron or cast steel or somewhere in between???

Huh? Wouldn't that make them from creosoted wood? That's what US ties are made from.

Perhaps you meant railroad rails. So just because Lee says their press is cast doesn't mean it is cast iron. There is such a thing as cast steel and it is way stronger than iron. And our railroad rails are steel. Maybe not 150 years ago, but I doubt Lee cornered the market on those just to melt into cast iron presses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Classic Cast press is cast iron with all steel linkage as stated on their website to include the source of the iron, rr rails.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/ca...catalog/classic.html

http://www.midwayiberica.com/a...ct?SaleItemID=317831

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hi I looking for the cheapest, and having discarded the Lee Hand Reloaded I found this other press Reloaded Lee Single Stage Press. What do you think of it?. I then buy the dies and other accessories.

Oscar

Lee Reloader Single Stage Press

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
I'd go for the Challenger then.

http://www.midwayiberica.com/a...ct?SaleItemID=176078

What is the difference between the two?

Oscar.

I am Spanish

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The less expensive press is shaped like a "C" and some believe that it flexes under heavy load. The second, more costly Challenger is an "O" press and will take much more force to deform. The does not mean the "C" press deforms under normal use.

Lee had to come out with an "O" press to compete with other makers, not because the "C" press is inadequate.

I think the more expensive press is not neccessary for your purpose. I had the Single Stage Press for 12 years before I bought a larger unit and I cannot tell the difference except my bigger press (Rockchucker Supreme) accepts cases like the 505 Gibbs that won't fit inside the Single Stage or Challenger.

I loaded dozens of calibers with it up to 416 Remington without issue. I also loaded for guns that shot groups less than .20 inch with it. You cannot wear it out as long as you keep it lubricated as per the instructions and if you are limited to one kilo of powder per year, you and your entire extended family couldn't wear it out in two lifetimes.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much tiggertate, but firt I must paid the rifle then I can think about buy my reload kit.

Regards,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I have had a LEE hand press for over 20 years and I am satisfied for knocking out primers in front of t.v. Then I may use it for the "feel" to seat primers and/or bullets later. These are varmint calibers. (.223 mainly).

I believe the .458 Lott is the .375 blown out to .458 and full length. This is a larger case. And if you are shooting full power loads, it will take some work to resize. Lee hand press is a bit small and if you do not lift weights you may look like you did. Should do the job and LEEs guarantee is reliable, but you might want more leverage.

Lyman had a similar press. Longer levers. I like mine better than lee but out of production I fear. The RCBS Specialty shop, Huntington Die Specialties has a two handed had press, light and portable. As handy but stronger. [Huntingtons.com under presses, near bottom.]

You will find many committed to "all steel" presses. Well cast iron anyway. What do you wan the press for? If you have a bench the iron presses are great. If you want portability... you also need a small pickup...

LEE has shown that the aluminum "0" frame can take it just fine. And with levers same length of ... They get the job done. And weigh less.

For your limited use, I believe the Lott should hold about 70 grains of powder, that is 100 loads per pound, 2.2 pounds per kilo, 220 loads per year... I would not be afraid of investing in a LEE and if you don't mind the work.

If you want the biggest and strongest, corbins.com has the presses with which you can also swage bullets for your monster. Luck.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I am really very little ammunition to load, so I do not need anything too sophisticated, but I want something that serves to load the 458 Lott and not break too soon. But one assumption is that the equipment cost little money, my budget is limited. I would be satisfied with a Lee press.

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
That suggestion was based on my Dillon "O" frame press being made from alloy. It doesn't flex or bend. Why would the Lee be different?

'Funzr,
I concede to your evaluation. I understand that Lee Precision is actually a subsidiary of Dillon, and that the only differences between the two are price and color. The Lee Load-Master is identical to a Dillon 650, except that it doesn't have a lifetime guarantee.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lee Cast Classic is an "O" frame press made I believe from recycled railway ties: I'm not sure if that makes it cast iron or cast steel or somewhere in between??? Whichever, it is many times stronger than a potmetal alloy press..

I haven't used one, but from what I have seen the Cast Classic is a very good press at a reasonable price and is far better suited to reloading the Lott.

Pete,
I think we can feel comfortable that Lee doesn't use recycled railway ties in the manufacture of their products. Recycled railway ties cost too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi, I['m] looking for the cheapest, and having discarded the Lee Hand Reloade[r] I found this other press Reloade[r] Lee Single Stage Press. What do you think of it?.

The 3.25" ram travel of this press is a limitation. The Lott case is about 1/8" shorter than a full-length H&H case, making it about 2.73" long. Seating a bullet with this press may be cramped. My caveats regarding the strength and rigidity of the Challenger are amplified here. Glen Zediker's evaluation of the Lee Reloader press:

I don't recommend them for most case sizing and certainly not for any forming operations, and not even for bullet pulling, although they seem to work fine for neck only sizing and with decapping dies.

I've cautioned you about the Challenger press. It can be made to serve your purpose, but it must be used with care. You'll know if it fails in flexure: the ram will be locked in its bore.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
That is difficult to find a low-cost press for this caliber. Frowner

Oscar.

I am Spanish

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hi, I['m] looking for the cheapest, and having discarded the Lee Hand Reloade[r] I found this other press Reloade[r] Lee Single Stage Press. What do you think of it?.

The 3.25" ram travel of this press is a limitation. The Lott case is about 1/8" shorter than a full-length H&H case, making it about 2.73" long. Seating a bullet with this press may be cramped. My caveats regarding the strength and rigidity of the Challenger are amplified here. Glen Zediker's evaluation of the Lee Reloader press:

I don't recommend them for most case sizing and certainly not for any forming operations, and not even for bullet pulling, although they seem to work fine for neck only sizing and with decapping dies.

I've cautioned you about the Challenger press. It can be made to serve your purpose, but it must be used with care. You'll know if it fails in flexure: the ram will be locked in its bore.

Glen Zediker is a top-end competitor who can't afford to overlook the tiniest detail in gear and ammo. So I can understand how he feels about the lower end of any product line. That doesn't mean he's right, especially this time. Onvy, send me an address and I'll ship my old Lee to you. But check local laws first; I don't want to get you in trouble.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
quote:

Glen Zediker is a top-end competitor who can't afford to overlook the tiniest detail in gear and ammo. So I can understand how he feels about the lower end of any product line. That doesn't mean he's right, especially this time. Onvy, send me an address and I'll ship my old Lee to you. But check local laws first; I don't want to get you in trouble.

There are no legal problems for Spain refer to a press, perhaps the only thing is that I had to pay a tax office, however I can not accept that you send me a press, because I have not seen price for it and I do not want you give away your Lee press. I thank you.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
PM returned.

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
IMO you can use the single stage for the lott with the exception of big cartridges like .450 no 2 or similar. May be you will need more muscle power but I think it`s possible. Any other opinions?

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Dentist Hi, I'm going to a gym, but I'm not a human muscle. Jejeje. Big Grin

Tiggertate, I also answered your private message. Thank you. Wink

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 3.25" ram travel of this press is a limitation. The Lott case is about 1/8" shorter than a full-length H&H case, making it about 2.73" long. Seating a bullet with this press may be cramped.

I overlooked the shell holder in my estimation of the Reloader Press's capacity. Another 1/4" of ram stroke must accommodate this piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oscar, if you live in Spain, then you live within the EU and can buy also from www.smartreloader.com in Italy. I think you will find their prices better (at least here in Sweden Midway is way more expensive).
Unfortunately both of the two suitable Lee-presses are out of stock. You would have to ask them when back in stock. The prices will most likely be higher, though. Last fall I bought the Lee Classic Cast for €90 but that was before the $ rise.

In Germany this company has one press in stock:
http://www.grauwolf.net/Wieder...adepresse::3598.html

And this company offers a Lyman Cast Iron press:
http://www.shooting-supplies.e...ading-Press.p33.html

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
UTK thank you very much, I will keep looking jeje Wink, but not until I've finished paying the rifle I am not too worried but I like to go looking for when I seriously decided to buy the material replenishment. I have to check that the two pages that you provide to sell Spain.

Best regards,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
The Lee Cast Classic is an "O" frame press made I believe from recycled railway ties : I'm not sure if that makes it cast iron or cast steel or somewhere in between???

Huh? Wouldn't that make them from creosoted wood? That's what US ties are made from.

Perhaps you meant railroad rails. So just because Lee says their press is cast doesn't mean it is cast iron. There is such a thing as cast steel and it is way stronger than iron. And our railroad rails are steel. Maybe not 150 years ago, but I doubt Lee cornered the market on those just to melt into cast iron presses.

onefunzr2,

Yeah, I wrote that in a hurry and my British to American translation went a bit wrong! Roll Eyes

Anyway, as I said, I've read that that Lee have the frame cast from recycled old railway rails...

I've no idea if this is true or not, but I do know that metal used in the Cast Classic is far stronger than the cheap pot metal used in the cheaper Lee and RCBS presses.....

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hey, then this really does not serve to press the 458 Lott? (see photo), I is the cheapest I found-35 €-in U.S. dollars are $ 49. I think I'm going to buy this press. I have to buy an accredited press, and the authorities of my country require this. The law of arms of Spain is very restrictive. How I envy you jejeje.

Best regards,

Oscar.

PD: Also overload with time as the other 44 caliber Magnum, 357 Magnum, 338 WM and 375 H & H.

I am Spanish

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That is the press we have been talking about. I have loaded thousands of rounds of 375 H&H, 375 Weatherby (NOT 378 Weatherby) and 416 Remington. All are the same length as the 458 Lott and all are harder to resize because a straight case is just easier (no expander ball). You have to insert the nose of the bullet and cartridge into the die together and then swing it into the shell holder to seat bullets but that becomes second nature with a little practice.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate Hello, I've sent you a bunch of PM, and you will see that the press that I purchase, so you do not bother with talk by PM (I do not know if you checked the shipping). I shall make an order with the press, dies (set of three díes Lott 458), and there's anything else. I also want to buy a reloading manual, but that is based on powders sold in Spain.

Greetings,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, then this really does not serve to press the 458 Lott? (see photo), I is the cheapest I found-35 €-in U.S. dollars are $ 49. I think I'm going to buy this press. I have to buy an accredited press, and the authorities of my country require this. The law of arms of Spain is very restrictive. How I envy you jejeje.

Best regards,

Oscar.

PD: Also overload with time as the other 44 caliber Magnum, 357 Magnum, 338 WM and 375 H & H.

Thank you tiggertate, you know because. Wink

Oscar.

I am Spanish