Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 202=Reloader ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Just got in the five pounds each of Norma 202 and 204 from Graf's. I know the 204 is equvilent to Reloader 19; how about the N202?

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I found that N-202 is close to RL-15, and N-204 is close to RL-19.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Really? I thought the MRP was supposed to be Re15.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N-202 should be in the Re12-Re10 range.

I have found equal loads of Re15 and Norma203B producing identical speeds in the 6,5X57R and 8X64S cartridges.

Let me stress out that I do not mean similar but identical.

I have found Norma204 to be significantly slower burning than Norma203B, which I have found significantly slower burning than Norma202, which I have found slightly slower burning than Norma201.

Just my experience.

Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
befus,

MRP stands for Magnum Rifle Powder. Its burning rate and applications have nothing to do with those of Re 15.

It has more to do with H4831, more energetic though, being double based.

Regards,

Montero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Montero. Good information, and much appreciated.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

befus,

MRP stands for Magnum Rifle Powder. Its burning rate and applications have nothing to do with those of Re 15.

It has more to do with H4831, more energetic though, being double based.

Regards,

Montero

I have heard that MRP1 (there is now an MRP2 which is even slower) is supposed to be RE22. It is close, but not identical. I suspect that the new MRP2 will be similar to RE 25.

Steve! What a great burning rate chart! The colors really help understand the relationships much better. Thanks!!

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Quote:

N-202 should be in the Re12-Re10 range.
Montero

I see on Steve's chart though that N202 and RE15 are side by side??????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Burning charts have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Two powders may sometimes change their relative burning positions when used in different cartridges with different expansion ratios and different capacities.

In my experience, limited to the two cartridges I mentioned, Re15 and Norma203B seem to be quite similar. I cannot say identical as I do not have the means to check out chamber pressure.

Also in my experience, Norma203B is slower burning than Norma202, at least in the side by side comparisons I made in a 7x57, two .308s and a 9,3X74R.

Again, I did not check out chamber pressures, basing my comparisons in muzzle velocity, primer and brass appearance, and the way spent cartridges were extracted. I know the latter are not totally reliable indicators, but when you have developed a feel for a particular gun, maybe they are not so unreliable.

Soooo... If 203B and Re15 seem so similar and 202 is definetely faster than 203B (and it looks like Norma agrees on this point) then 202 and Re15 may not be that much side by side.

But then, again, their relative positions may change in different cartridges

Regards,

Montero