New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lyman 1200 Digital Powder System
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, now Wal-Mart's got the 1200 DPS sitting on the same shelf there for $229. There was no mistake the first time. The little shelf tag said $65 something on it, and the lettering on the same shelf tag said Lyman powder dispenser. I can't say for sure that the digital powder dispenser sitting there at $65 something was a 1200 DPS. The picture on the box looked just like the picture on the box sitting there now, but I did not make a note of the model number.

I have gotten some screaming deals before when Wal-Mart puts a new product out at a very low price. I got a couple boxes of ten Barnes saboted copper muzzle loading bullets for $3/box a couple years ago.

Oh well. If the $65 was a mistake, at least I can feel good that I didn't rip anybody off by buying it at that price. Yeah, I feel great.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Got my Lyman 1200 the other day. Let it warm up in my loading room for 2 days. Today, I did some test runs to check it for accuracy. Set it for 31.5grs and ran it 10 times. Eight of the ten were "Balls On" , one was about 0.1gr heavy and one was a hair light. Increased the charge to 71grs and tested five. Four were "Balls On" and one a tiny bit low.

I think I am going to like this new toy.

Question: Do you think that 0.1 + or - will affect the accuracy of my loads? Especially in the smaller cases that max out at 25 to 30 grains.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the most accurate ammuntion I've ever loaded short of Heavy Varmint Bench Rest Rifles using the Lyman DPS 1200. I wouldn't worry a bit about your accuracy when using it.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Mine throws a hair heavy. However I check with beam for my sets with my Nitro Express and RL15, then just go for it.

You are going to really like that powder thrower/scale system.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman 1200DSP and I have had trouble from the getgo. My first one would not hold zero. The scale was off by .3 to .5 grains. The first 10-15 powder charges were fine. After that it start to go crazy. I would throw 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 and the scale would read 57.0 grains. I would take it off the scale and reweight it and I would get 56.5 grains, 56.7 grains.
I called Lyman and they replaced my unit. I checked the s/n to make sure it was a new one. Well the same problem, but this time it took about 20-25 powder charges for the scale to go crazy.
The scale is much to sensitive. There must be a defect in the manufacturing process.
I purchased a Pact scale and trickler and all my problems disappeared.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
steve
Quote:

Question: Do you think that 0.1 + or - will affect the accuracy of my loads? Especially in the smaller cases that max out at 25 to 30 grains.

Steve, in amounts of 25-30 grains the +/- .1 grain will never be noticed and I'd be very surprised if you'd notice a difference in +/-.2 grains.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got a Lyman 1200 for Christmas and did the initial set up. The manual calls for a reading of 308.6 at one point of the calibration, mine gives me 308.5. Don't think a tenth is going to bother but thought I would ask veteran users. Thanks, Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time I've had problems with mine is when I talk on my cell phone while using it. Someone questioned my comments on it when I mentioned it before so I went back and repeated the experiment. With the phone off the scale was reading 19.5grs, turn on the phone and it goes nuts reading up to 75grs, phone off back to 19.5grs. I can only conclude is that they are susceptable to interference so just watch for it. I love mine depite this. My buddy who bought the first one, sold his pact so he could have a second handy on his huge reloading bench......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote