New
Find
Notify
Tools

sensative primer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had something happen that has never happened to me in my 3 years of reloading. I just had a primer explode on me when priming a case. First off, it probably happened because i was useing a lee loader. i know i know, it is bound to happen with a lee loader because you have to use a hammer. I've been reloading for dads 7X57 mauser for a few years with this lee loader and never once had this happen. I'm just guessing it was a very sensative primer or something, Ther is no dent anywhere on that primer that would have set it off. just curious as to how many reloaders this has happened to.
thanks

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell you why that happened… could be a lot of things…

but I can say with the RCBS AUTO PRIMING TOOL I believe the risk is reduced due to the ability to feel the primer seat.

This is just one more reason to wear safety glasses.
Glad you were not injured

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do need to get my hand primer set up for the 7mm. The funny thing is, the primer had not been seated all the way in when it went off. I usually make 3-5 light taps before the primer is fully seated, but this was the first wack. I think some Hornady new dimension dies are on my wish list!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45 years or so ago I started reloading for my 32 Spl with a Lee Loader. I loaded a lot of rounds with that set up and can remember popping a primer only once. Don't really know why it went off, I probably wasn't paying attention and may have had the primer upside down. I still have the old Winchester and the Lee Loader, and still use both.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just heavy handed. I've popped a few. It does get your heart racing. I wore a glove on my left hand after a bit. A Lee Auto Prime will take that excitment away from you. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote