Find
Notify
Tools

Old and gone powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted
When I was but a yoof and men were men and women were also men, whenever anyone did any loads for the .308 Win, IMR 3031 powder was in there ...

anybody else know of any really common powders which are now gone?

Also when did IMR3031 disappear, I may have been sleeping that year?

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bren, I don't believe IMR-3031 is gone. I bought some as recently as last winter, that is during the winter, maybe late autumn, of 2014. Two weeks ago I was at a gun show and a vendor had several pounds. Unless it's been discontinued and I'm ignorant of that.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For many years my "go to" powder for my 7mm Rem mag was Hodgdon 870. It was a great load behind 160 gr Nosler partitions. I still have a 1 pound canister sitting on my loading bench, Price $4.95!!

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I miss WW571/HS7 powder. It makes great 1 3/8 oz. 12 gauge loads. Also good for heavy 20 Ga. loads. Beyond me why they discontinued that powder.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
3031 is not gone; it is one of their best sellers.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bren
I just checked a couple of websites and
www.3rdgss.com has 3031 in stock. Good folks and easy to buy from.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought some imr 3031 a couple of hours ago, it was sitting right next to the imr 4064.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Oooops.

Seems I was full of dung.

I remember 3031 being touted for almost anything .308-like, but nowadays I hardly ever see any magazine articles where the writer says he used 3031.

It doesn't help that I lived in RSA and now live in Oz where in the first American powders are almost unknown and in the second very difficult to keep a steady supply.

I know guys here who try to use W ball powders who have just given up and used the ADI powders (which are pretty damn good).

Just hadn't seen 3031 mentioned in the past 7 to 8 years .... but then maybe most American mags are touting cartridges that can't use 3031 and demand SLOOOWWW powders - speak of 26 Nosler and such.

Thanks for setting me right.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bren:

Just for fun and games:

What is a yoof?

What is RSA ?

What is Oz ? popcorn

I'm a Yank so I don't understand the down under lingo -
So you committed a boo-boo! An oops. That doesn't rise to the level of crucifying you - YET !!!

What's the big deal about 3031 ?

Here are links to burn rate charts:
https://www.google.com/search?..........0.CUTwjTKqCM0

Take your pick !!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to play with some H-450.
As for yoof i think he is saying Yooth you knoe like youth. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Yoof = Yoot = youth or stripling

RSA = Republic of South Africa = the armpit of the 3rd world when talking to friends

Oz = Australian = Godzone = God's own country

Yank = Seppo sofa

--

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Hercules Reloader 11

It was "the" powder in my 243 back in the early 70's.

I still have about a pound and a half.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did they discontinue Pyro DG? It has been my go-to powder for 90 years now, and I'm about out. Getting a bit low on SR-80 too. Big Grin

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that H4895 and Varget are better choices in the 308 Win than IMR 3031.

Load testing in the 35 Whelen, I found IMR 3031 excellent, it is a little faster burning and that case prefers fast powders to slow powders.

I was able to buy two pounds of IMR 3031 at the last gun show. It is still out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer RL-15 in most calibers where 3031 is listed, seems I get more velocity and better accuracy..

I still have maybe 10 or so pounds of old US Army surplus 4831 and its much better than IMR or H 4831 in that I can get 100 to 150 FPS more velocity at less pressure. Its awesome in the 270, 30-06 and 300 H&H..makes them really cook.
I was offered 45 per pound at one time for the remainder of it and turned it down, should have sold it but what the hell, I'm still using it. I bought 150 lbs. of it in a stainless steel cap locked barrel within a heavy wood crate that I now use for oats. I don't know why they can't make that powder today, but then I'm not an explosive expert.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend was recently complaining about his inability to obtain any IMR4350, I questioned him "Why not use RL19?"

Apploogies to Jack O'Connor I never had any luck with IMR4350 in the 270WIN...

But firmly agree with Jack about the 30-06 and IMR4064...
(words to the effect of If you can't make a 30-06 shoot well with 48grs of 4064 and some 165gr bullet that your next stop should be with an exorcist, not a gunsmith.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alcan powers AL7 made the best 125gr 357 loads

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labman, if you were closer I've got almost a full pound of Hs7. I'm not much of a shotgunner and don't shoot the big bore handguns like I used to. I can't figure out what to use it in. Frowner

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My .257 AI used to REALLY LIKE WW 785...

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Naaah! You are not stealing God zone from us!

You stole Pavlova, Pharlap, Dame Kiri, Russel Crowe, Clarrie Grimmett, Keith Urban & lots more.

But you cannot steal Godzone! Not now not ever!

We from Aoateroa, the land of the Long White Cloud, we are from God Zone!

quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Yoof = Yoot = youth or stripling

RSA = Republic of South Africa = the armpit of the 3rd world when talking to friends

Oz = Australian = Godzone = God's own country

Yank = Seppo sofa

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11187 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Just came across a cache of 3x8oz of AL5, 1x8oz. They were cheap because no one else was old enough to even remember them.
I also have about 1 1/2#s left of H870 which my .264 Win Mag thrives on.
Also just about out of N205 and may have to start using my stash of 1978 vintage MRP.
Still using my 1978 vintage N204 and N201.
Just finished my last can of HS5 loading .38 Specials. Sometimes it seems the .38 Special itself is as obsolete as HS5.
And for my newer "oldies" I am using WMR from the mid 90's and WXR from only a decade ago.
My buddy is still using H205.
Is there a generation gap in reloading?

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I use 3031 for my 308, 30-30, 32 Winchester special and have been thinking about switching the 220 swift to it. Will cut down on the amount of different powders I have in stock.

I saw a 8 pound jug at the local gun/reloading shop just last week.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I go by what I see at my local gun stores, all powders have been discontinued.
I miss 452AA. Great in .45 Auto, and "replacements" were NOT as good.
I miss 571/HS7
I am going to miss PB. All the folks who always judge a powder on cleanliness seemed to have missed this powder entirely.
I missed WAP, until Silhouette came out.
AA plus will be missed.
Hodgdon has sacrificed some great powders.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 75R,

HS7 is excellent for less than max velocity in a 357 mag. When shot in a lever rifle, it is exceptionally accurate with jacketed bullets.

It should also work in milder 44 mag. loads.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I used HS-7 and WW571 in my 28ga skeet loads and in my medium .357 pistol loads. I miss them both. Another was H-205. It fit beautifully between 4350 and 4831 in speed and gave excellent accuracy.
The number of powders that have been discontinued and replaced makes my head spin. On the manufacturers side, many of the replacements meter better, burn cleaner, and seem to fit exactly where I need them. However, I still miss some of the older ones.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote