New
Find
Notify
Tools

plated bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
been using plated pistol bullets for quite awhile now and having good luck. Other day a guy mentions that he's having really poor success with them. Seems like he'd been roll crimping and the crimp cut through the thin plating. Taper crimping is the only way to go using them

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
+1 butch. The harder you crimp them, the less accurate they seem to be. You have to be carefull, even w/ a taper crimp.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy was roll crimping pistol (semi auto) rounds? May be other reasons than just crimping! Having said that I just use regular jacketed bullets that come up on special occasionally for my 38 super. and 40.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, Have you found one type of Plated Bullet to be more accurate than the others? Berry? Rainier?

I've been giving some thought to loading up on bullets for my 357Mags and 44Mags before the price goes even higher. I know bartsche has mentioned the "Berry" Bullets do real well for him.

Remington makes a few rifle bullets that they list as PLHP(Plated Hollow Points) and they are amazingly accurate for the cost. Plus they Blast Varmints as well as any Bullet I've used. I use the 50gr PLHP in my normal 223Rem Load and am very happy with their performance.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they seem to be about the same. kinda nice not having to clean the lead out of the barrel without the cost of jacketed bullets. a friend who is into subguns uses them by the thousands, gets his best price out of cabelas (and he's a dealer) much of which comes in freight savings

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, Thanks for the info. I just got a new Cabela's catalog this past week. I'll check it out.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Butch, Thanks for the info. I just got a new Cabela's catalog this past week. I'll check it out.

You only got one Cabelas'catalog last week? Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
...You only got one Cabelas'catalog last week? Big Grin
Big Grin Probably get a box full today. Big Grin

I did look through it and the price for the Plated Bullets does seem very competitive. So, thanks again Butch for making my billfold thinner. clap