New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Remington Jet in S&W 53
 Login/Join

<bobcash>
posted
Can anyone share loads for the above? My gun is an early 4 screw and I have decided to try 45 grain, .223 Hornet bullets in it....

Appreciate any help/advice anyone can give......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob - I used to load for a friend who had one of these pistols. We loaded 11 grs of 2400 behind 40 gr bullet.

The thing you better remember loading for the .22 Jet is to wipe absolutely ALL sizing lube of any kind off the cases before firing. Also make sure the inside of the cylinders are free from oil. Otherwise this gun has the little quirk of sticking the cases in the cylinder and you will have to beat them out. [Mad] The hotter the load and the more traces of lub or oil in the cylinder, the harder the cases stick. This mega irritating point was probably a major factor in the demise of this cartridge.

Oh, one last point! This gun uses .222 or .223 diameter bullets and not .224. It is not a .224 bore.

My old Lyman book shows you can get more velocity out of IMR 4227. 11 grs = 1,575fps.
Max is 13.5 grs for 1,840fps using 4227.

Whatever you do with this little gun WORK UP TO IT. Things happen fast with loads for this gun. [Eek!]

[ 08-31-2003, 19:28: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bobcash>
posted
Thanks, Pecos45...I have heard of those problems with oily chambers and cases and will be careful to keep things clean....

one of us
posted Hide Post
bobcash: one more caution with the 22 Jet. Be SURE you are wearing ear plugs. The little sucker is a blast to shoot and has no recoil, but it is LOUD!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one many years ago and never got around to loading it. I do remember hearing from others that mild loads were best or the backing/jamming became a problem. The suggestion to clean the cartridges and cylinder is a must. Without it you will have LOTS of problems with the cylinder jamming. I used carbon-tetra-chloride, which I could get for free from my father. I understand that you cannot get that any more, but any grease remover should work. It made the bluing look funny, but when I oiled it down after cleaning, the bluing came right back. Of course, I had to remove it all before the next shooting. It was a great idea that did not quite work out.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olarmy - Now that you mention it, I recall that as well. The Jet is an ear ripper. It makes a damn hot pistol round that is fun to shoot...but the technical issues with this cartridge are simply so great most shooters move on to things that are less hassle.

I wonder if anyone does a conversion of these guns to something like .22 Hornet? [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bobcash>
posted
I've been doing things the 'hard' way for longer than I can remember and am looking forward to learning about the Jet's foibles......if keeping it scrupulously clean is all it asks, we'll get along fine.....I did hear it's like shooting the 357, noisewise, without the recoil...guess that stands to reason as its case is derived from the 357........
Thanks for everyone's help......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos: might not want to mess with a M53. They didn't make too many so I believe they may have some collector value

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote