Find
Notify
Tools

338-378 weatherby load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted
I just bought a new accumark in 338-378 and I am having a hard time deciding on a bullet. I normally use Berger bullets but they only have a hybrid target bullet in .338 I was thinking either a 225grn accubond or barnes. Any suggestions?

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have mine setup with 250gr Swift A-Frames right now but plan to work up a load with the 225 or 250gr Barnes TSX. I am using a max load of RL25 and getting mv of 3150.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I've only loaded 3 different 225 grain bullets in my 338-378. All were Barnes but in the TSX, MRX and TTSX flavors. All were quite accurate and were running between 3150 and 3200 fps using IMR7828. I recently started load development on the Barnes 265 grain LRX bullets using US869. I believe I'll find the sweet spot for this bullet between 118.5 and 120 grains. Speeds for this bullet were between 2900 and 3000 fps.

The Berger 300 grain bullets are very accurate and people do hunt with them with good success. I was considering working up a load for them but found the 265 grain Barnes bullets and went with them instead.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted Hide Post
Ken, are you saying that people are having good luck hunting with the Berger Hybrid target bullet, or have I missed something and Berger has a .338 hunting bullet?

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cary Howard:
Ken, are you saying that people are having good luck hunting with the Berger Hybrid target bullet, or have I missed something and Berger has a .338 hunting bullet?

One of the guys I know using the hybrid has been working up a load for awhile but hasn't hunted with it yet that I know of. He used the orignal 300 grain Bergers to hunt elk with last year from his 338 Lapua with good results. As I understand it the hybrid's have a slightly thicker jacket and he's about to start expansion testing.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted Hide Post
Gotcha!!! I almost got excited!!! Keep us updated!!!!