THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Blue Dot "close to" full power load, loads

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot "close to" full power load, loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I just shot some of the recommended Blue Dot loads in the 222 (scaled from 223 loads) and 22 Hornet. They performed well.
Is there a source of loads for other calibers using Blue Dot for near max loads?

How bout fairly stiff cast bulletloads in the TCUs, 30 Herrett and what the heck, just maybe the 357 Max.

Heck if one can use Unique in lead bullet loads in the 45-70, why not Blue Dot?

NOSEY minds want to know! [Wink]

LouisB

[ 08-26-2003, 05:21: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot supposedly varies quite a bit from lot to lot. The powder you have may be somewhat faster or slower than that used for the loading data you are following. Based on experience with a .357 Mag, I recommend you work up to hot pistol loads with caution.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC:

first I have to disagree with South 40 about Blue Dot varying from lot to lot. I have some of my most consistant velocities, with minimal deviation with Blue Dot. I use it as my 223 load.

I got started on it on the web site Site for James Calhoon bullets. Use your search engine.
He lists an article called "To 218 Bee or Not 218 Bee" He uses Blue Dot loads.

I loaded Blue Dot for a friends 222 in Montana that we got for his daughter. I use 12 grains of it, with Remington 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 primers.
That is for 40 grains to 55 grain bullets. Chronograph deviation spreads were less than 20fps! 55 grain bullets chronyed at 2600 fps and 40 grain bullets chronyed at 2850 or so.
All were very accurate in any rifle I fired.

As an added plus, you will be amazed on how long it takes to heat up a heavy barrel with Blue Dot.
Even a standard barrel. You won't believe how cool the barrel stays, ( or how little it heats up, and how quickly it cools back down.) You can also get close to 600 rounds reloaded out of one can of powder.

As far as a 45/70 load, I can't attest to that. However I can attest to 444 Marlin loads and 30/30 winchester. 12 grains is about max with a 150 grain or 165 grain cast bullet in the 30/30.

In the 444 I have loaded it with 20 grains and a 300 grain XTP. Recoil is very low, and accuracy is just great. I have not chronographed it, but a 300 XTP is going to hang a job on whatever it hits, even at low velocity. It is a fine 100 yd hunting load, and kicks a lot less than any 30/30 factory load.

It seems to be a secret, but I am sure you will learn to love it. [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TCLouis,
I got out of shotshell reloading years ago and have some Blue Dot hanging around. I'd love to know what loads your using in the 22 Hornet!
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Check Lyman 47th edition Manual

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Seafire hit exactly what it was I was looking for with the Blue Dot loading information. Slightly less than full power loads using Blue Dot to stoke them.

I got the information off of some site yesterday morning (8/24/03 USA time)and since I trusted the author by reputation and informatiion we had exchanged in the past I decided that I had to try the loads in 222 and Hornet.

His loads were for 223 and Hornet so it was fairly easy to scale down for the 222. The Hornet brass was already primed with WSP primers so pressure issues would show up very easily.

The original starting load in 222 (788) shot well and so I extended the bullet a bit to get it closer to the rifling and accuracy "went to hell in a handbasket", as they say. Amazing what one turn of the seating stem will do to a load. Turned that puppy right back where I found it.

No great amount of accuracy work up and NO chrono work, but then I turned to the Hornet. First load took a bit of tweaking to get what I was looking for, but then I am looking for minute of yard varmint accuracy in both of these guns right now.

I sure wish I could remember all the sites I went thru to get to the internet artice on using Blue Dot in 223 and Hornet.

Hate it when I go thru several links so have NO idea where I ended up to get some inforation and if I want to go back have NO idea where is was on the web.

This is definitely something I want to persue to a greater extent in the future especially in that great big case. Heck an accurate 1500 fps is good enough for me in the 45-70 with 300 grain bullet.

Blue Dot is the ONLY powder I have ever loaded that consistently produced velocities exceeding what was listed in the loading manual using it for "normal loads"!

LouisB

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Seafire

Are you talking cast or condum bullets in the
30-30? That information will get me going on the 30-30 and 30 Herrett anyway, soon as I find out what kind of bullet you are talking about.

Thanx for the name, I'll start a search!

LouisB

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
btt

llb

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC:

I have never been able to get cast bullets to shoot worth a crap in any 30/30 I have ( 3).

However, with the blue Dot loads, I use regular jacketed bullets. From 110 grain round noses to 170 grain flat points. I even tried a few with 220 grain round noses.

Sorry don't shoot the herrett.

I will email you that Calhoon site address.

With the 45/70 you should have fun. It is only a little quicker than Alliant 2400, so start low and work up. 1500 fps in a 45/70 with a 300 grain bullet should not be rocket science.
I think you will love it and the recoil ( or lack there of) in the 45/70. I love it in my 444.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The web site you are looking for is
www.jamescalhoon.com

On the main page, on the left, click the icon for "informative articles"

it will bring you to a list of articles

You want, to 218 Bee or Not to 218 Bee.
then the second one about it revisited.

It should be a wealth of info on what you are looking for.

good luck.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Well it always pays to use several different search engines when looking for information/ a site.

Finally found the site I was looking for. It is a section in Rocky Raab's site!

Be greatif there was a way to get all of the "special" reduced loading data in ONE place.

LouisB