New
Find
Notify
Tools

helped a guy out today
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
I was checking out reloading supplies at wally world today when a guy picked up the last can of IMR 3031, so I made a comment about being lucky to get the last can and he replied "yea, I have allways used Pyrodex but they are out so I guess I'll give this stuff a try". Of coarse I explained to him the difference between smokeless and black or black substitute. Our muzzle loader season begins in a few days and between this guy and the fact that Wal Mart was curiously low on smokeless powder got me to wondering how many others made the same mistake and at what point will they figure it out?

<Bill>
posted
I still find it hard to believe some of these people have made it through life this long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe 'em. They eventually retire, move to south Florida, and vote democratic! Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Wal-mart that sells reloading supplies. I sure wish the ones around here did.

<Elliot Viker>
posted
For a short time in my life, I was the gun sales manager on a larger local sporting goods store. Just before and after the hunting season, I would have to just about have a setative to deal with people. It was an eye opener. People would come in to have guns bore-sighted before season, and then come in and complain that the scope wan not reght on. They would not sight in their guns! Or the people who would not what kind of shells fit their gun, or who shot varmit weight bullets because they were $1.00 cheaper than the proper load for the task at hand. In general, I found that there are a lot of people out there who scare me. As far as the black powder shooters, there are those who love the sport, and those who look at it as a way to shoot more deer. The latter scare me.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
On another forum there has been quite a discussion on the "7.62 Nato" vs .308 Winchester and the difference in U.S. Army vs NAto pressure and CUP units vs PSI.
The long and short of it is these guys do not know there is a difference between a CUP unit and a pound per square inch. One is not the other and 50k CUP is NOT 50k psi. I even copied out of a reloading manual the max pressures from SAAMI: 52k CUP and 60k psi. I tell you some of these guys are going to load to 50k CUP and think they are running 50k psi when they are really hot. To no avail, I was treated like an idiot. I gave up. Some people want to be foolish I guess.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling years ago I could never get across to a guy that a 380 acp or 9mm kurts was not just a shorten 9mm luger. He thought that because you could shoot 38 spls in a 357 that a shorten 9mm could be shot in a auto. No matter how a explained case length ect. He walked away thinging I didn't have a clue.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Wally world selling reloading components! Thats a new one on me!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
If ever in Anchorage check out the wally mart. They have it all--lots of guns, powder, bullets, reloading dies--you name it they got it.

<heavy varmint>
posted
Oh yell, the wally world here sells a basic supply of about anything a reloader or hunter would need.(note the word basic as in the bare essentials of the best selling brands) There rifles are generaly plastic stock Savage 110 or Remington 700 in 30-06 or .270 but I did pick up a new Winchester M.70 classic featherweight in 22-250 over the summer for $539 that someone had ordered and never came back for and a Marlin 336 30-30 for $279 new so sometimes it does pay to go shopping with the little lady.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I went into "a huge international sporting goods store" here in Springfield a few years ago and asked for a box of 100 grain .257 Nolser Ballistic Tips.

The guy disappeared into the back. Twenty minutes later he came back out with a box of 117 grain .257 Hornadays and said something like "we're out of Noslers. These will work just as good."

At least he got the caliber right.

Just how bad is the advice/service the average "uneducated joe" gets?

I haven't set foot in Bass Pro since.

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Sarge (edited 12-04-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Or the one where I walked in and asked for some Sweets 7.62. They answered all they had was 7.62x39........ It was worth a laugh, at the time.

3031 in a muzzle loader. Measured by volume. Wow! That'd be something. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the drooler lived thru it, he, of course, would sue the rifle company, the powder company, wally world and you if you looked like you had a couple of bucks. Oh yes, and the tobacco people. They're easy.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was nosing around in one of the local gun stores just before moose season this year, and got one of the biggest shocks of my life.
There were a couple of guys buying rifles.
They were getting the whole nine yards.
Rifle, scope, slings, case, and ammo. And of coarse the guy behind the counter gladly offered to bore site them. As he was adjusting the scope one of the gentleman asked him if he needed to take the rifle to the range to check the sight in. The guy seas no, this is a swarovski scope on a Winchester rifle bore sighted with the best sighter, it will be perfect when I am done.
I was about 5 feet from him when he said this. I instantly asked him if they had any chest waders in stock, as he was so full of shit that I did not want to get it on me.
After a short heated discussion, I was asked to leave. As I walked out the door I was followed by the two who were going to buy the rifles. They asked me if I could give them directions to a competent gun dealer in town. I gladly obliged them.
What is really appalling is this dip shit is the owner of the store, not just some dumb kid that did not know better.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Roger 4>
posted
35Nut,,,,did the other two guys buy waders also??,,,that`s a lot of Dooooo! being passed
around there,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,