New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic gel penetration with FMJ or hardcast
 Login/Join

Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted
To get the FBI desired result of 12 - 18" penetration in ballistic gel how SLOW would you have to push a .451 cal 230 gr LRN / FMJ, and how SLOW for a .429 cal 240 gr LRN in order to NOT over-penetrate? Both bullets over-penetrate at factory velocities from 45 ACPs and 44 Spls.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why.

Over penetration is highly over rated as a problem.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably below 700 fps.
the RN design is noted as a penetrator not a tissue destroyer.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
probably below 700 fps.
the RN design is noted as a penetrator not a tissue destroyer.

In our penetration tests - with rifles - the round nose is awful.

It changes direction very easily.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In our penetration tests - with rifles - the round nose is awful.

It changes direction very easily.

Rifle velocities vs pistol velocities cause bullets to do different things.

Round nose bullets at under 1500fps penetrate deeply in a straight line.

Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post
I asked the question because yesterday I chrony'd my carry load from my 3" Ruger GP100 44 Special.

200 gr Hornady XTP
8.5 gr Unique
#300 CCI primer
1.480" OAL
½ turn Lee Factory Crimp Die

That's the hottest load listed in Speer #13 using Unique and a 200 gr JHP. They used a Cimarron Single Action Army for their tests and show 1025 fps with that load. I assume it was a 7½ barrel.

Five shots at 10 feet over my CHRONY F-1 averaged 795 fps with an extreme spread of 11 fps (790 - 801). Mild recoil.

I don't think that's fast enough for the XTP to expand and we're approaching heavy clothing weather. So I might as well carry the copper-plated solids that I use for practice.

This gun FITS me. I'm accurate with it in DA rapid fire.

BTW, the 240 grain lead bullet loads I tried with 6.3 gr Unique chrony'd at only about 625 fps. Very accurate, and very mild recoil. If this load got the 18" penetration in ballistic gel, could it be used as a carry load?

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTI1USNRET:
I asked the question because yesterday I chrony'd my carry load from my 3" Ruger GP100 44 Special.

200 gr Hornady XTP
8.5 gr Unique
#300 CCI primer
1.480" OAL
½ turn Lee Factory Crimp Die

That's the hottest load listed in Speer #13 using Unique and a 200 gr JHP. They used a Cimarron Single Action Army for their tests and show 1025 fps with that load. I assume it was a 7½ barrel.

Five shots at 10 feet over my CHRONY F-1 averaged 795 fps with an extreme spread of 11 fps (790 - 801). Mild recoil.

I don't think that's fast enough for the XTP to expand and we're approaching heavy clothing weather. So I might as well carry the copper-plated solids that I use for practice.

This gun FITS me. I'm accurate with it in DA rapid fire.

BTW, the 240 grain lead bullet loads I tried with 6.3 gr Unique chrony'd at only about 625 fps. Very accurate, and very mild recoil. If this load got the 18" penetration in ballistic gel, could it be used as a carry load?

50fps gain/loss per inch in a pistol is fairly common and book velocities are very generous IMHO.

So one is looking at a mim 250fps loss just because of barrel length let alone the BOOK being off.

The boxes of XTPs I have had a velocity chart include showing min/max expand velocities.

I would think those loads would have very mild recoil.

Not enough velocity for me with the 240gr bullets right on the edge with the 200s.

I would be looking for a better load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bump that 240gr unique load to around 7grs. and your looking at a very effective and proven old school defensive load.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote