New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's So Bad About........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering why a few of the members here seem to have something against the Weatherby double radius shoulder? I would like to know what their beef is and their reasons why. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The radiused shoulder collapses more easily during reloading than the angled shoulder of other cases.

Also, it the radiused shoulder is just a marketing gimmick that makes the brass more expensive. It does not serve the shooter in any way.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a double-radius shoulder is the only way
to make a wildcat 50 cal.Ed

-

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the Weatherby double-radius shoulder and freebore were the "secret" to Roy's higher velocity. In older books I've seen it referred to as the Powell Miller venturi freebore.

In any event, I've never had trouble with the shoulder design. Almost all the belted cases I've reloaded numerous times, develop a ring from resizing just above the belt where the size die does little, ultimately leading to their rejection.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
packrat,

I hear what you say and agree. I've reloaded thousands of rounds for Weatherby calibers and have had less trouble with their brass than brass for calibers like .30-06, .243 and the like. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog, I don't dislike them. I did read where Weatherby said in his later years that the double radius venturi shoulder was just hype and they knew it did nothing for the cartridge. I think it helped their sales.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The double radius Weatherby shoulder goes with the entire package. Weatherby's appeal to the chrome crowd and that's fine. There is a market for glossy stocks, overloaded cartridges, inlays, rollover combs and all. There is nothing wrong with this. It's a style and Weatherby created the market and satisfies it.

There is really nothing that I like about Weatherby's at all. I owned a Sauer made 378 and it funtioned well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 270 Weatherby mag and didn't have any difficulty reloading it. My son has it now and really likes the rifle and still shoots/hunts with it.I don't see any thing that makes it more difficult to reload than many of the more traditional calibers.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I shoot two .340's and a .257 Wby. I have loaded some of the brass many times with no problems. I had a .308 once that gave problems from day one, until I swapped it. Yep, it was a browning that took three sets of small base dies to accomplish the job. RCBS was great working with me. [Wink] Good shooting.