New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Hand Primer
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Anyone own and/or recommend the Lee Priming tool?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ranger Dave

I own one , and simply think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You have much better controll over primer seating , and with some added speed. All I can say is get one ... Soon

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Thank you for your input! Anyone else?

one of us
posted Hide Post
IVe got 3 one set up for lg primers one for small and one in my traveling bag that I take to the girlfriends to carry my loading equipment. I used the first one I had so much it acutually wore out I sent it to lee and they replaced it free of charge. I dont know how many thousands of rounds that tool primmed but it was over 20 years old when it died.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lee autoprime is the only lee tool that I own and I have not seen a better priming tool made by anyone.It is fast and gives good feel of how much pressure you are putting on the primer as you seat it.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favourite, as well. I have one that is twenty four years old now!

I like the feel the Lee allows better than the RCBS counterpart.

I have heard of potential hazards when using Federal primers, however, I have not had a problem. I do watch to make sure I don't try to seat a stacked pair of primers. Federal is my primary primer supplier.

The RCBS tool gave me a lot of glitches, e.g., seating rod would hang up, primers would not feed smoothly, etc. I also find it more complicated to assemble and disassemble. This is a result of the design that increases safety by separating the primer being seated from the primers in the tray. Probably is safer but I went back to the Lee.

I would like to try one of the Sinclair primer tools but at a $100 it will probably be a while yet!

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Mine is so old that it would not seat primers all the way flush. The pot metal cam had worn down and the steel primer ram would not extend far enough up into the shell holder. I took the steel ram out and adjusted it with my primary Jeep repair tool, a big ball peen hammer. Several good whacks while rolling it around on the anvil part of my bench vise lengthened it just enough to seat the primers flush. It's probably good for another ten years or so now.

Sometimes duct tape is not the best fix.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
It's the only way to go. Have worn out two of them. When you get yours,there is a parts list that came with it. Order at least 2 I think it's called an anvil and grease it where it's called for and it will last for about 50,000 primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
Get one!!!! You will not regret it. I've run a few thousand rounds through mine and if it broke today I'd buy another.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Dave:
Anyone own and/or recommend the Lee Priming tool?

The best $12.00(1993) I have spent on reloading equipment! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't add a lot to the good things said about the Lee primer tool here. I guess I'm just wasteful -- after wearing out two I just went and bought two more. I know Lee would have probably replaced them, but I simply bought the new ones (one for large and one for small primers) because I wanted the primer reservoirs which my old original tools didn't have. I also figured Lee deserved the business for designing such an excellent tool (and because I was too lazy to smear a little Vasoline on the wear joint to extend its useful life).

After a few hundred rounds your thumb gets a little rhumatism-like feeling. I notice some of the johnny-come-lately competitors have designed theirs to use the entire hand. Maybe this is better, or maybe it just gives your whole hand a dull ache after awhile, I dunno. Anyway, I won't be changing from the Lee system in the foreseable future.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Thank You. You don't normally see so many good responses on reloading equipment. I guess I should pick one up! [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Mine works great. I would reccomend it to anyone. Heads up though!! The opening just above the shell holder is too narrow for WSMs and probably Dakotas and Ultra mags. Nothing 10 minutes with a dremel tool wont take care of though.
DLJ

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JackRabbitSquare>
posted
Mine works great. But as it was already posted it don't fit the Ultra Mag case.....little dremel work and it was just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually mine works on ultramags with no mods at all.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Lee. I've heard of a couple that have had the cheap metal snap - but this has been after thousands of rounds. I've had no problems with mine except that I can no longer actually see the primers in the tray as the clear lid is so scratched in that area. I lube the joint periodically as is directed in the manual - and that makes sense - as we all need our joints lubed from time to time. [Wink]

The RCBS is an awkward hand priming tool IMO. It swings too wide of an arc to be comfortable for most people - even for us Yetti-size guys - and pretty much requires a full hand, kung-fu grip. It also likes to flatten primers. The Lee's only requirement is that you have two, opposable digits. Me likey.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquavit:
The RCBS is an awkward hand priming tool IMO. It swings too wide of an arc to be comfortable for most people - even for us Yetti-size guys - and pretty much requires a full hand, kung-fu grip. It also likes to flatten primers. The Lee's only requirement is that you have two, opposable digits. Me likey.

My experience exactly!

When I expressed this to some friends, you'd have thought I said Colonel Colt was a queer! RCBS seems to have a rather loyal, and at times blind, following of enthusiasts.

RCBS is a great company, however, even the great ones have a poor idea once in a while!

Remember the Chevy Vega?!?! [Eek!]

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get just one. Get one for every caliber you shoot. They are great, and inexpensive enough that you don't have to switch from large to small all the time. Also notice that some calibers use the same one ex 45 acp and 30-06 family. I have also noticed that since high pressure is not exerted on the case, I can use my 44 magnum for the 30-30 Winchester. I suppose I should confess that the 44 mag and 30-30 winchester is my only non Lee primer seater. I think that you could use the same lee seater for other calibers. I must have about 6 Lee primer seaters.

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
I know, I know. Not following the rules is a bad idea, but do you guys actually stick to the recommendation that comes with the thing and only use CCI and Win primers in it? Have you or anyone you know actually experienced a problem by using other primer brands. Seems such a shame to have such a handy tool and be limited to just two brands of primers.

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
quote:

RCBS is a great company, however, "even the great ones have a poor idea once in a while!"

Remember the Chevy Vega?!?! [Eek!]

Regards,

~Holmes[/QB]

Chevy?? Great?? Chevy?? [Confused]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee AutoPrime II. No special shellholders needed - you use the same shellholder you use to reload ! The AutoPrime ram goes in the press ram slot and your shellholder goes in the die-base of the AutoPrime. Bought it because of my arthritis and LOVE it. I think I got it for $13 from Midsouth. You have to coax the last couple of primers down the ramp, but it is fast, convenient and provides excellent feedback as to seating feel. [Big Grin]

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do a quick survey what benchrest shooters are using to seat their primers, I bet 99% of them are using either the Sinclair Hand Priming Tool ($100) or the Lee AutoPrime ($15). I think that says something.

Michael

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
For many years I primed on my press. What a fool I was! Now I own two Lee's, one for large and one for small primers. They work great so have never really checked out alternatives. Are there really other hand priming tools out there???

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Yep I use one too. Great tool. Probably the best tool Lee makes. But the factory crimp die comes close!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote