New
Find
Notify
Tools

2800+ from 200 gr. Speer in 30-06? Yes!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some days ago Seafire claimed on this forum that he was getting 2800+ f.p.s. from 200 gr. Speer bullets in several 30-06 rifles. I replied that I was skeptical about that, and he responded by challenging me to try.

So I did, and I can report that Seafire was right.

I used a Browning Safari 30-06, the one built on a Mauser action, with a 22 inch barrel.

Using the 200 grain Speer spitzer bullet and 60 grains of RL 22, I got these velocities from 4 shots: 2811, 2817, 2775 (don't know what happened with that one), and 2819.

Using the same bullet and 63 gr. of IMR 7828, for three shots, I got 2835, 2826, and 2851.

All velocities were measured 15 ft. from the muzzle.

All loads used Winchester brass (brass that had been previously used for several loads) and CCI 200 primers. The overall length was 3.26 inches, and all were crimped using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

All powder charges were compressed, and the IMR 7828 were very heavily compressed. All these loads were hot, but gave no evidence in this particular rifle of being over-pressure. (If you're going to try this in your rifle, you do so at your own risk. Start lower and work up.)

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It is possible, but I thik you have to have a fast bbl. I can get 2800fps from my son's using RL22/7828 but it's getting warm. Every rifle is different.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd,

I don't know why this just caught my eye. I have been taking a vacation from the forum for the last week or so.

However, thanks for reporting the results. I hope at least for one person, when I am reporting what I am seeing, that I am not taken for just making things up, or being told that my chronograph must need fixing.

A gentleman from Australia indicated that he had access to the Australian Military's ballistic testing lab, and had inquired about the details so that he could actually have the pressure tested.

With your testing, I was not able to break 2800 with RL 22 in my rifles. However, I use 61.5 grains of H 4831 SC and a Speer 200 grain bullet.
If you check the BC on that bullet, you will find it is very high, like .566. With 2800 fps at the muzzle and a high BC and a high sectional density and 200 grains, this combo turns the 30/06 into a very decent long range, hard hitting combo. I was asked to work this up for a nephew by his dad, for long range Elk in Montana, or the hardest hitting combo for close range, and a bullet that would hold up either way. I thought this would offer a step up from the old 180 grain loads.

Thanks for testing and thanks for backing me up.
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SEAFIRE AND OTHERS
rest assured when i get all my loads tested with the 200 gn nosler i will post the pressure data
i still dont know how you get 2800+ fps from a 22 inch barrel 06 i get 2700 fps with 59 gns of R22 in my 06 and that is with a 26 inch tube ....i still think vv N165 has some merit as it seems to produce good velocities at low pressures
daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
How does one calibrate their chrongraph? One can measure the screen separations of course but how about the actual shadow on the eyes? How about the chrono's clock or interface?