Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsman inventory way up!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I just got home from going by the local Sportsman Warehouse in town and the reloading shelves were all loaded with good stuff.

All kinds and brands of primers, bullets, brass, loaded ammo, .22lr shells including a lot of different SV loads, pistols, rifles and shotguns. All the gun racks were loaded with stuff that I haven't seen in their stores for months. Prices were ok, not great but ok.

Good sign.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. We have one in Reno. Makes me think the big Scheels in Sparks will have stuff, too..

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...the local Sportsman Warehouse in town and the reloading shelves were all loaded with good stuff.

They usually are...right after they receive a shipment.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The store in Columbia, SC has a lot of supplies yesterday too. I saw about every kind of primer-except large rifle magnums.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally getting there..

however their prices are not as attractive as they use to be...

when our local one opened up a few years ago, an 8lb keg of IMR powder was $110.00

now it runs 180 bucks!

although our local one, has dropped the 5 lb container price from $110.00 to $99.00 which is a good sign to see the price come down..

sad tho, varmint bullets cost what we use to buy big game bullets for a piece..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody is going to pay for that Health Care and you dam sure know it's not going to be the Government or

Dummycrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found Sportsmans to be quite the opposite. Generally understocked and overpriced. Now the store in Billings is closed after less than 18 months.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a single-store place yesterday. I saw obamaloads of .22LR, .38, 9mm, .40 and .45, stacked up like bricks on pallets. He had primers, but no small rifle. Prices were a touch high, but his stuff always is. I was told at several places a few months ago that the shortage would ease about May. Well, here it is-- about May. I'd go into stealth mode and buy small quantities of stuff on an ongoing basis so we don't get caught short again. You know-- a brick of primers this month, two boxes of bullets next month, two pounds of powder the month after that. That's what I started doing the day after the Democrooks won in 2006. I knew what was ahead. You can ALWAYS count on Democrats to restrict your Freedoms as enumerated in the Constitution. Let this shortage period have been a lesson to you. Don't get fooled again...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin, CA (near Sacramento). The haven't got a new shipment of reloading supplies for at least 4 months. You could lie down and take a nap on the bullet and primer shelves.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David:

I was just in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin, CA (near Sacramento). The haven't got a new shipment of reloading supplies for at least 4 months. You could lie down and take a nap on the bullet and primer shelves.

Scheel's in Reno has stuff. I-80, Exit 21. You can't miss it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Colorado Springs their brass and bullet selection is "almost" up to the low end of normal. Powders is starting to become available but popular stuff RL 15, 4895, 4350 etc is not available. Can get 4831 but limit is 2# per purchase. Primers are available --- if you want shot shell primers. They have not had LR primers in over 2 months. Same with other local gun shops.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I just got home from going by the local Sportsman Warehouse in town and the reloading shelves were all loaded with good stuff.

All kinds and brands of primers, bullets, brass, loaded ammo, .22lr shells including a lot of different SV loads, pistols, rifles and shotguns. All the gun racks were loaded with stuff that I haven't seen in their stores for months. Prices were ok, not great but ok.

Good sign.

Went by this same store again tonight and the shelves where full again and then some. All kinds of goodies available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the are starting to get their funding issues turned around. Was very excited last weekend when the newpaper reported that our local SW that close last fall should be opening back up in the coming months! I always found the prices to be fair, not fantastic, but fair.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biathlonbrad:
It sounds like the are starting to get their funding issues turned around. Was very excited last weekend when the newpaper reported that our local SW that close last fall should be opening back up in the coming months! I always found the prices to be fair, not fantastic, but fair.

I had the chance to talk to a store manager a couple of weeks ago about the history of the store's financial situation.

I believe that the chain was in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy wherein the debtor in possession continues with ownership and attempts to put together a plan to be approved by a panel of creditors to retire as much debt as possible. The debtor continues to operate but almost all vendors will require a COD style payment. Should a creditor receive a payment on an older debt the trustee in the case could declare such payment as preferential and the creditor be forced to transfer those funds to the trustee.

In these situations it's tough for the debtor to keep the business going and many of these filings end up with a Chapter 7 filing which is a complete liquidation by the trustee of all assets to pay off the creditors as funds allow. The other outcome is the opportunity to find a new buyer for the company during the 11 while keeping the current creditors at bay as an ongoing business has more value than one that is closed down.

Most if not all of the customers have no knowledge of the filings and can only complain about the lack of inventory or the delay in any special orders. If customers are made aware of the situation it can 1) lead to understanding concerning the inventory situation by the customers or 2) chase them off. It seems as though management almost always decides to make no announcement of their filings other than those required by law.

The manager said that the new owners are better financed and vendors have regained confidence in payment being received or are receiving payments on that same COD basis. Apparently a private equity firm in California has come forward with additional financing that extending their % ownership in the chain after a Canadian Co-Op funding fell through. He was optimistic about the chain and seemed to have a great background having worked in the Sporting Goods industry for 2-3 other chains.

All in all I think it is a good sign for things to come from them.