New
Find
Notify
Tools

140 gr. X vs. Partition in 7mm
 Login/Join

<rickdm>
posted
I am developing a load for my 7mm STW with a 140 grain bullet. I developed an accurate load at 3300 fps. with the Partition. I have also bought a box of 140 gr. Barnes X bullets to develop a load for. Anybody have any feelings on the effectiveness on game of these two bullets at that kind of speed? It will mostly be used on Texas deer, but some time in the future I would like to use it on something bigger.

Thanks,
Rick

<Don Martin29>
posted
If you have a load for the Partition then leave it alone. The X bullets may foul your bore.

I usually practice with Sierra's and hunt with Partitions if the situation requires it.

After the hunting season this year try out the X bullets. Maybe by then bigger game could be on the horizion.

Up close that 3300 fps MV may blow the petals off of the X bullets. On the Partition the front of the bullet is going to be gone. So is some of the deer you cut in half.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either bullet will perform well on game in the 7mmstw.I use 140 gr ballistic tips in my 7mmstw's on our larger canadian deer and they work well so a premium bullet is not really required for deer especially smaller bodied southern deer.For moose and elk I had good performance using the 140 gr partition.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello

I shoot a model 70 in 7mm Remington, found that the 140 grain X bullets did not shoot the same point of aim as the 140 grain Partition Bullets. Every rifle seems to be different in that regard. The XLC bullets are closer to the Partition Bullets in that rifle.

Tom

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote