Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match Prep?
 Login/Join

posted
I am a novice reloader who is seeking to understand how to achieve ultimate accuracy. I currently reload .308 : Hornady 168gr A-Max with Hornady Match brass. My question is this. Should I be doing anything extra in the reloading process (I do the simple 4 steps the Hornady manual shows)to achieve a higher accuracy rate?

Thx

one of us
posted Hide Post
The key to accuracy is consistancy. Any thing you do to increase the consistancy level has payoffs, but it also has a cost in tools and time.
Uniform the primer pockets
Deburr the flash hole (from the case mouth end)
Trim brass to a consistant length
OD turn the case neck for concentricity (70% clean up is normaly acceptable)
Match the brass by interier case volume (best) or weight.

None of this will have a measurable effect however, IF your rifle or you (the shooter) isn't capable of utilizing it. Accuracy is a tripod, consisting of Ammo, Shooter & Rifle (including sights). If any 1 is deficant than the whole system fails.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner: You are 100% correct. Only thing I could add is, since a 308 is being used, go with Lapua brass and get some custom bullets. Berger is a good place to start for bullets. They make 30 cal's in every weight you would want. The rest is up to the shooter and gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto tailgunner's suggestions. Berger makes good bullets, and so does JLK, and Clinch River,..but their sure aint no flies on them a-max pills

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote