New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R case longevity question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many reloads should I be able to get on a case?

And, more important, how can I tell that a case is ending its useful life. Do I use the old bent wire and try to snag the inside the way I do with my .300 WinMags?

Thank you

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends a bit on the brass. i've gotten about 8 loads on some rws stuff and its still going strong, on the other side some selmer belloit cracked after 2. most noticeable thing has been cracked necks (vertical cracks)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how can I tell that a case is ending its useful life?

If you've got the Die adjusted correctly to your chamber you will probably not experience a case separation with this cartridge.

Usually you'll notice a VERY distinct ring (or partial ring) just ahead of the web. Yes, you can try the bent paper clip trick as with other cartridges to attempt to feel for the separating inner ring.

Neck splits and loose primer pockets ought to be the main causes. You can easily see the split(s) in the neck and you'll feel the (lesser) amount of effort required to seat a primer.

If you're not pushing the envelope and all's Hoyle with your set-up you'd be surprised at how many loadings a case will take.

I threw a 100 batch of Norma 30/06 Sprg. away one time simply because I couldn't believe they were still useful after 14 loads. They showed no signs of going south, either.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
There are 2 particularities to consider.
1. top quality doubles are nearly all handmade, which may bring with it some dimensional deviances as compared to the published (industrial) standards ;
2. the 9,3x74R has a nearly non-existent shoulder, so that it practically reacts like a rimmed straight case, i.e. it elongates rapidly. Too long a '74R case creates problems. Apart from promoting premature shooting off face of the rifle (hard and forced closure is hard on the hinge), the forward flowing elongating brass rapidly creates a condition of incipient case separation (often after no more than a few firings/FL sizings).
The solution is the same as with magnum belted cases : partial sizing. However, one would want to go easy with this and stop at the 1st. hint that the shoulder is making contact and takes control over headspace. Contrary to bolt action rifles, one doesn't look after some "friction closing", which would not be advisable in a hinged action for reasons explained above. Also, as a safety check and as already suggested, all fired cases should be probed inside with a littel hook (bent paper clip ok) to detect the eventual groove of incipient case separation.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
With stout cast bullet loads, I've loaded one batch of 20 RWS brass well over 10 times, and had just one split its neck.

I've never used anything but RWS brass. I believe the most times I've fired brass with full charge loads is 3 times, and never lost a one.

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
There are 2 particularities to consider.
1. top quality doubles are nearly all handmade, which may bring with it some dimensional deviances as compared to the published (industrial) standards ;
2. the 9,3x74R has a nearly non-existent shoulder, so that it practically reacts like a rimmed straight case, i.e. it elongates rapidly. Too long a '74R case creates problems. Apart from promoting premature shooting off face of the rifle (hard and forced closure is hard on the hinge), the forward flowing elongating brass rapidly creates a condition of incipient case separation (often after no more than a few firings/FL sizings).
The solution is the same as with magnum belted cases : partial sizing. However, one would want to go easy with this and stop at the 1st. hint that the shoulder is making contact and takes control over headspace. Contrary to bolt action rifles, one doesn't look after some "friction closing", which would not be advisable in a hinged action for reasons explained above. Also, as a safety check and as already suggested, all fired cases should be probed inside with a littel hook (bent paper clip ok) to detect the eventual groove of incipient case separation.

Excellent post and my experience with RWS cases in my Merkel 96K drilling, 12-12x9.3x74R agrees with Andre's comments. This round CAN be a bit of a pita to handload, BUT, for typical BC "meat" hunting, it has no peer and the rimless x62 version is as useful.

RWS brass is like gold here, I have 400+ cases for my drilling and treasure/hoard them like fine wines!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 does headspace on the rim & this will cause stretching with the first firings. Adjust your sizer to neck size or partial FL size & get the shoulder in play & brass life goes way up. The RWS brass is far thicker in the head area & this is what I use for my wildcat 338x74K. Norma cases were giving me 5 firings until head sep, bad. The RWS as many as 10 & no sign of head spe. I am probably running pressures a bit higher than 9.3 ammo, but it is in a Ruger #1.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOS ; Problem with log in permissions can someone contact a moderator on my behalf ?.

I log in then go to any forum I'm denied access to any forum unable to even view the contents let alone post for participation ?. very odd circumstances as opposed to other forums I participate on .

As I was logged off went too this particular forum to view it's contents and able to see all normally , I then hit reply and entered my required parameters . Now I'm posting in hopes it goes through ??.

I see no where to contact anyone with regards to this problem ; sorry for any interruption I may have created . Thank You ...

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote