New
Find
Notify
Tools

fun acquisition...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's odd, how such simple things can please us.

A week ago I found a Lyman Tong Tool for sale and a set of 223 dies for it on the cast bullets website. Price was reasonable, so I bought them.

Brown just dropped them off about an hour ago. The tool and the dies are in their original boxes, all the dies are still in the old brown kraft paper. As in NIB, as is the tool. Boxes are the old orange with metal clips at the corners.

It is just kind of neat to have something like this to play with. A link to the not-too-distant past when reloading was a simple, but time consuming tradition.

I'm almost afraid to unwrap them...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up and started out with a Lyman 310 tool no thank you fun nope.

I was so glad when Dad brought his first press.

I even have a small press made for the 310 dies from Lyman. I must have 4 or 5 die sets the tool press and until now haven't thought about them for years.

They were ok for what they were but there is so many better ways to reload ammo.

I hope you have fun with them but I well not be breaking mine out ay time soon.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have and use a 32 Spl Lee Loader that I bought for $9.95 when I was in HS in the 60s.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know just what you mean Rich.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .300 savage that I load for with a Lee Loader. It just seems like the thing to do.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 310 Tool and also the Tru Line Junior. Both have a set of .270 WCF dies for them. I use the 310 Tool really only to seat primers whilst watching TV or, as another poster said, to look at and thank myself I have a reloading press!

The Tru Line Junior is there just in case, as is the 310 Tool, I was away from home and thought that I might ever need to reload some .270 WCF because I couldn't transport the ammunition for it.

So I would take already sized in a standard FL sizer die and press cases and bullets and hope, on location as it were, to acquire the required powder and primers. Or if I wanted to expand cases processed on my standard FL dies and press to use cast lead bullets.

They are fun to use...but only in moderation.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in College I loaded my 44 Mag rifle and handgun rounds with a Lyman 310 Tong Tool, and my 264 Win Mag rounds with a Lee Loader, the one that came in the black box, no press.

I used the Lee powder scoops for the powder charges.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Lee Loader, the one that came in the black box, no press.

I loaded for a couple rifles several yrs with a Lee. Never did buy "real" dies for my 6.5Jap

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote