New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Brass!! ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While shooting a friends Remington 742 semi auto 30-06 today I picked up one of the spent brass right after it ejected and it was very HOT! Hot enough to burn my fingers if I would have held onto it.
The ammo was factory 150gr Remingtons.
Have any of you seen this before?
*Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes my remington pump in 3006 does the same thing with the same ammo and reloads . could not tell you if we have a problem or not . but the gun shoots very well . Bob [Smile]

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass from my AR10 is hot enough to burn skin right after ejection from the gun. I think that autoloaders and pumps (and probably lever guns) can kick out the brass fast enough that the barrel doesn't much time to act as a heat sink and soak up heat from the case.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
When you fire a gun, the powder burns!! It produces both pressure and heat, heat in excess of the melting temperature of steel!!! This is what makes the bullet move, and it also melts and removes a little bit of your barrel steel every time you shoot. This is what wears out barrels. If a machinegun is fired for enough rounds, the barrel will get red hot. Have you ever heard of "cook-offs"?? This is when a gun fires from barrel heat setting off a round in the chamber without the trigger being pulled!! This is the reason why people tell you that your rifle barrel will last a lot longer if you wait a couple of minutes between shots, so the barrel can cool off.

<eldeguello>
posted
[Wink] [Wink] Well, DUHHH! It finally sank in!! This whole thyread was just a spoof, right?? [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello, It's honestly not a spoof.
I was asking this question because I have never had a spent brass actually burn my fingerprints off before. I shoot LOTS of hi power and mag cartridges out bolt guns and almost always catch the ejected brass as it comes out of the chamber immediatly after firing and have never had one make me look like a chicken with its head on fire. [Eek!]
Sounds like it must be a semi-auto gun thing, which I hav'nt had much dealings with except for .22's and shotguns.
Thanks for the replys.
*Nut*

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nutoy:
I was asking this question because I have never had a spent brass actually burn my fingerprints off before. I shoot LOTS of hi power and mag cartridges out bolt guns and almost always catch the ejected brass as it comes out of the chamber immediatly after firing and have never had one make me look like a chicken with its head on fire. [Eek!]
Sounds like it must be a semi-auto gun thing, which I hav'nt had much dealings with except for .22's and shotguns.

Nut-

You've figured it out, along with a good explanation from 1 More Gun. Hot brass from a 5.56mm (223) M-16 or AR-15 is notorious amongst High Power shooters. Have one land on the back of your neck & see if it doesn't screw up your concentration. [Smile]

But, like you said, you can fire a much larger cartridge from a bolt gun with no ill effects. The thin brass case "bleeds off" it's heat into the much heavier barrel steel before you work the bolt, even if you're quick. But in a semi-auto (or full-auto), the brass is ejected VERY soon after the shot, before the heat has had time to be absorbed by the barrel. Hence it stays with the brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QB][/QUOTE]Nut-
Have one land on the back of your neck & see if it doesn't screw up your concentration. [Smile]
QB][/QUOTE]

That's why a hooded sweatshirt is recommended equipment for High-Power shooters....

[ 05-28-2002, 23:48: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Even when I shoot my Rem.22 Speedmaster.The shells are ejected streight down and sometimes they will land on your arm or go in your shoe. They don't feel too good and their just 22LR.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill M:
[QB]

Nut-
Have one land on the back of your neck & see if it doesn't screw up your concentration. [Smile]
QB][/QUOTE]

That's why a hooded sweatshirt is recommended equipment for High-Power shooters....
[/QUOTE]

Bill-

Good point, and sage advice.

Most of my competition though is military combat matches. BDU's, Kevlar, web gear, etc. In other words, if Uncle Sam didn't issue it to you, you don't need it (or get to use it). I've had hot brass actually get between my chin strap & my cheek. Think THAT didn't bring out a few choice words!?! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was shooting at a crow with a .22 semi-auto one day. My lovely wife was with me enjoying the ride. When I pulled the trigger the spent case ricocheted off the windshield inside her blouse and bra, finally coming to rest on top of her beautiful right nipple. You could actually smell the flesh burn.

None for me that night.

<eldeguello>
posted
I guess since I've had .45 ACP brass go down my neck while shooting in a pistol match, that I just assumed everyone had had similar experiences!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Through simple observation, I have always known that hot brass was a phenomenon most often experienced with autoloaders. The explanation that instantly removing the case from the chamber doesn't allow the chamber to cool the case seems, at first blush, unlikely, but may very well be the difference. Typical loads from a bolt action, even those running very high pressures in with very large doses of powder, like a 7mm STW, always come out barely warm, compared to a .223 from an AR-15, which is still hot to the touch a couple of minutes later.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
When I was shooting service rifle matches with my Garand 20+ years ago...I remember ignoring my shooting coach's admonition for not wearing my shooting glove (it was hot that day), I was wearing my coat, but not the glove. Well half way through the standing position...yup, a piece of fired brass came straight down and landed in my cuff, laying against the skin of the underside of my wrist. Needless to say I scored poorly the rest of that stage and had a real nice long blister on my wrist as I quietly went back and put my glove on. [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was at the range one time watching a young man introduce his lovely girfriend to the joys of shooting a pistol. The lady in question was rather well endowed and wearing a scoop neck top. I've never seen moves like that since, nor heard a woman use language quite that, um, forceful. My, my, my. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Ask any USAF Cop (like me) who has to qualify with the M-16 A2! yES IT IS HOT LOOK AT MY COLLAR BONE! [Eek!]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
There are two ways to get any gun to eject cold brass. One, don't pull the trigger, just eject!
Two wait 20 minutes between shots. (doesn't work on semi's, or full auto's)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote