New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on various 6mm bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a pretty good deal ($40) for a batch of 6mm bullets including two boxes labeled #1550 Sierra Semi Point in 6mm on the side of the box. On top of the box is labeled Pro Hunter. The ogive looks blunter than modern Pro Hunters and is definitely blunter than the Game King Ogive.

Other than ogive dimensions is there any difference in the construction of these Semi Point PH's than the new PH with what looks to be a more slender ogive?

Also included a new box of Speer 105 gr., partial box of Speer 90 gr Hot Core, a new box of 100 gr. Sierra Game Kings, an assortment of old Remington 80 and 100 gr. SPCL (not coreloct) and about 1/2 box of something quite old resembling the old Semi Point but in a plain red box with a plain white label with info as follows:
SS1A33B 6 mm 100 GR. BP. No brand name of any sort. Any ideas what these are? Any info is greatly appreciated. I'll be loading them in .243's. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 100 gr semi-pointed bullets were supposed to be able to stabilize in a 12" twist 244 Rem when a pointed 100 gr would not.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra #1550 bullet was last shown in the 50th Anniversary Edtiton loading manual but is very conspicuous by it's absence in the Sierr Edition V manual. Methinks the bullet is long gone from the Sierra inventory.
I know they dropped the 170 gr. &mm bullets about 6 years ago Mad thumbdownand I'm wondering how much longer it will be before they drop all round nosed bullets from their inventory. Guess they were not selleing enough of them to keep the bean counters happy.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Most of the time miscellaneous boxes or partial boxes of bullets are not worth working a load up with unless you are sure you need/want them. They will work for sighting in a bit, then swithching in your precision masterpieces. That being said a good box of out of production bullets is a great find once you can no longer get them and alreadt have a great load.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+one on what Paul said.

Sierra has dropped many of their semi-spitzers. The 100 grain 6mm was a great bullet for the .244 Remington with the slow twist. Likewise, I was having great luck in a .22 K-Hornet with their 40 grain SS (not Hornet) bullet. They dropped it just about the time I was really getting to like it. Lesson: When you find a compenent you like, buy a good supply of it.

The old red box sounds like a Herter's box, but that's only a guess.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If nothing else they all would make great fireform fodder........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called the Sierra Tech guys about those 1550 Semi Points and he echoed Paul B's lament. He said they just don't sell enough anymore and to take care of them if they shot for me. Both boxes are same lot number. These bullets shot right at 1 inch at 100 yards with my Tikka Hunter and 43 gr Imr-4831. Same load with the 100 gr. Game King shot 2 inches. I always have accuracy trouble with all brands of boat tails except NBT's.

Out of curiosity, I was weighing the various brands and all Sierras weighed exactly 100 gr. while the Speer 105's most weighed a few gr. over and one weighed 104.8. Same with the Speer 90 gr. Both Remington Corelocks and the older SPCL's are also very inconsistent. Sampled about 6 out of each box. The possible Herter's all weighed 100.4-5 gr. and were very straight taper with the Semi Point look. The bases were bevelled off nicely to facilitate seating. Thanks

I guess a guy hasn't much to do if he's got time to weigh bullets but I think I know why I get best accuracy from Sierra PH. And why two different friends have given me the Game Kings in 257 and 284 caliber. I wish I could make them shoot. Must be a secret to loading them. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote