Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder measure
 Login/Join

posted
What powder dispenser does everybody think is the most accurate? I am using the Lee right now but I believe there has to be something better.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I am using a Pact Dispenser and Scale to load rifle. I have an RCBS that I used to use, Uniflow I think. My Loadmaster has the Lee disk on it but I put the adjustable chamber on it.

Which Lee do you have and what is it doing? The RCBS works well. If I wanted to throw rifle rounds I'd have to play with it for while but if was going to trickle and weigh I'd just set it a little under and trickle up.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I too have a Lee. I have somewhat mixed feeling about it.

I will try working with it a little more.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just bought a LEE. For my rifle work it throws very consistently to just shy of my load and I trickle to the needed charge. I have quit using my electronic powder dispenser for the manual LEE.

For pistol work I really like the LEE disk setup.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and it works fine but I am wondering what everybody considers to be a better piece of equipment.

I was looking at the Hornady with the micrometer for pistol reloading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lee is as consistant as any, it does seem
flimsy though. My first measure was a Pioneer.
They were bought out many years ago. It was
built like a tank. After 40 years or so it started to bridge once in a while. I couldn't trust it so out of curiosity i bought a Lee.
So far it seems to work well.
good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find that not even the best measure will meter coarse stick powders very accurately, and even cheap ones will meter ball powders well.

Perfectionists will tout the very expensive Harrell's measure. Not cheap, but much more affordable is the Redding measure. Among the "popularly priced" measures the Redding is probably the best, perhaps being just a notch or so above the RCBS or Hornady.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Some of the Lee equipment is made with lighter materials. The plastic and nylon parts cut costs but don't give the confident feel of heavier construction.

The Hornady, RCBS, and others on the market are built along similar designs to each other. They will last longer. If the Lee is working I'd keep it but set aside a few bucks a month for a new metal dispenser if it breaks. I'd say the Hornady and RCBS would be nearly the same for quality. I put a few bucks aside for components and such every month, it's not an ammo can full of cash but it builds to a couple of hundred a year with pocket change. When you figure lunch at McD's is $7 a meal, packing a lunch once a week and putting that $7 in a piggy bank gives you $350 a year for components.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only real gripe about Lee measures, at least when dropping 5 grains and over, was that there was no baffle and you would get bridging with certain powders despite their claims otherwise. They might have baffles now, I don't know. I bought a baffle from RCBS and bent it just a bit and it fit in my Lee. Hey Presto! no more bridging. I also use the Pact combo for rifle rounds, and would never go back. If there is someone who is going to be buying a trickler--do yourself a favor and buy a good heavy one, not a cheap light plastic one. They can become top heavy if you load a lot of powder into them, so the weight helps stabilize them. I know someone who glued his cheapie to a piece of plywood and that helped a lot, but now it won't fit in its old storage space and sits on his bench laughing at him.............

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Uniflow has been working just fine for almost 30 years now... I bought the powder baffle and it helps, I also keep the powder within the center third of the reservoir.

And obviously, ball powders measure much better than stick. If I am using stick powders I typically scale each charge, and then only a box or so at a time. Thankfully, there are only a handful of calibers I use stick powders in.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am wondering what everybody considers to be a better piece of equipment.

I have no idea of what "everybody" thinks but I've used several iron measures and find the Lee Perfect as good as any for most powders an sometimes better with coarse powders.

A common business card, a pair of sissors and 30 seconds of effort will provide a serviceable powder baffle.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
REDDING

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Jim good idea with the business card.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody, looks like I may as well keep using the Lee.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was not cheap but I have a Harrels. Unless you have used one you would never think a powder measure could be this nice. Extremely accurate. Record the settings and you will be within a click or two of your powder charge when you go to repeat a load. A very fine piece of craftsmanship.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Lymann 55 tu2

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I think there are much better choices for ball powders (I use RCBS Uniflows) but for extruded rifle powders I think the Lee Perfect is as good as any. At least it doesn't cut grains and jumble up your load. I got one just for my rifle loads and am happy with it. And I think every powder measure ought to have the removable hopper feature.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icemanls2:
Lymann 55 tu2

+1 - May not be the snazziest one out there but I've used the same one since 1970 with no problems. Adjust it to throw just below the desired load and trickle just a few kernels of powder to an exact weight.

It's also accurate and consistent enough to throw all charges and double check weight occasionally. Then I make a visual inspection of all cases to make sure there are no significantly over or under charges.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
RCBS Chargemaster. Cool

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of powder measures, including an electronic one (no longer available) which measures to 1/20th grain.

For most of my hunting ammo, though, I just use the Lee Perfect. Once I adjusted the tension on it, it works as well on stick powders as anything else (or better).

I also have a Neal Jones I use for benchrest competition (because it easy to precisely re-set it during matches if anyone screws with it while I'm not looking). I've two Lymans, a Redding, and a couple or three others, but for all practical purposes in loading hunting ammo, the Lee is just fine.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote