New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm ruger semi-auto
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
was looking at some Berry's Bullets 9mm 124gn (.356) HBFP and wondering if those would work fine in my Ruger pistol. I generally use Hornady 115 gn (.355( HP's in it. Want to make sure these would be safe in it. They still however seem to measure at .355 so any advice appreciated

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Berry's makes good bullets. Cast and thin plated bullets (Barry's , Ranier, etc.)are generally softer than a jacketed bullet and tend to be a thousandth or two oversize. You may or may not notice a difference in your seating and crimping. I haven't in .45 ACP or .38 Spcl but haven't loaded 9mm.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they will work just fine - the only thing about plated bullets is that #1 keep velocities under about 1400 or the plating will start to strip, and #2 - do not roll crimp. use only a taper crimp. the roll crimp will cut through the plating

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you guys very much for the response. they seem to feed into chamber just fine and no other problems that i see. just wasnt real sure about the diameter part. truly appreciate the help.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plated bulllets are similar to lead bullets and as such, are 0.001-0.002" larger in dia. than jacketed ones.

I have been using the 115g Berry's in my Glock 19 for some time now. I start off at the minimum listed charge (power pistol). If I get a few FTEs, then I bump the charge up 0.1g until the action will cycle properly.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote