New
Find
Notify
Tools

210 Bergers blowing up or? 30-378 WBY
 Login/Join

Picture of Bret1
posted
This is the deal, me and my Brother has been trying to get dialed in for 1000yrds, we loaded some 210 bergers last week in his 30-378 and found a good load with 105Gr of retumbo (shot probably 20 into paper just fine)
with no pressure signs so he loaded up 60 and went to the
range (field) He changed his scope to his other 8.5x25
leupold so we sighted in at 200 yrds well we got it on a 8"
paper plate did 2 shots about a 11/2" apart the next shot
hit nothing no plate or plywood but my boy said he saw
somthing hit about 20' low we thought huh whats the deal!
so we started shooting at 1000' yrds he missed 1st 2 and the dust boiled up each miss as it is in a dry field
then he hit the plate 3 strait let the gun cooldown and tryed it again, this time nothing no dust or nothing but a wiered
twang sound he shot again and same thing, so we picked a
little bush about 700yrds same thing no dust or nothing
just wierd twang sound! so I shot my 168Bergers (RUM) at bush
and the dust flew big time. well all his new brass he just
loaded had pressure signs on the base A 1/8" round imprint
same load as the weeks before it was about 70 degress here today and I am telling you the bullet is going crazy sometimes! It chronoed at 3115 (210 bergers) the week before
so why is it showing the pressure signs could be temp etc I know,but why are those bullets not making the flight?
And one time when He was shooting at the 1000Yrd plate we saw some dirt (about like a dirt clod Threw) being kicked up about a 100 yrs away and the twang sound. when there was a twang sound there was no dust or nothing at targets! when there was no twang sound the dirt flew like a tornado!
please help? we are calling walt berger in morning.
Yes the loads were a little hot for some reason, new cases
or temp or different powder batch, but is it normal to have bullets go bye bye with a little extra pressure?
Dont get me wrong any signs of pressure is unexceptable for us.

The best Things in life cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.

Posts: 10 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Interesting post. I had a .220swift that would do this to bullets on occasion when speeds broke 4100fps. It would happen once & a while not every shot, even though all bullets came from the same lot.
When bullets breakup in flight, it usually happens well before they get to 100yds. If you have any left, send them back to Berger for testing. Could have just been a bad lot of jackets, too thin??? bewildered

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bret1
posted Hide Post
thanks fred going to talk to berger soon

The best Things in life cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.

Posts: 10 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote