Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes load help for 300 and 338
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I've just got bought some 168gr.- .308 bullets for my 300 Win Mag, and 185 gr.- .338 bullets for my 338 Win. Could somebody give me the Barnes recommended loads using either reloader 19 or H4350. I haven't been able to find anything on line and they didn't have the Barnes manual at the store.

Thanks,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they the regular, blue meanies, or the TSX?

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
These are the TSX, although loads for the regular will work they say.
Thanks,

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Browningguy, I just started developing loads for my 300 WSM using the Barnes 168 TSX, the only powder I have tried so far is RL-19 I just started with the normal 5% below Maximum for published loads using the 165 gr bullets and worked up from there. Barnes claims you can shoot over listed maximum loads with this bullet, but I never got there, ran out of case capacity with RL-19, never saw any signs of excessive pressure. I think you will love this bullet on paper. I have no field experience with it yet.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks EWN, how many grains of RL19 did you start with?
Regards,

posted Hide Post
Browningguy, Sorry it has taken so long to get back with you. Hunting seasons started and I am finding less time to get things done. I started with 69 gr. of RL19 with CCI-250, progressed from there in .5 gr. increments up to 72.5 before I reached compressed loads. Never saw any signs of excessive pressure. The 72.5 only averaged 3080 fps from my chronograph. I am going to try a faster powder. I am also in the Houston, Tx area, you can contact me directly at earl_nanney@anadarko.com if you have any more questions.