Tools

Re: .375 H & H Load
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted
Quote:

Quote:

Very interesting. I would like to think a 200 gr. load might be possible.

Alas, if a 200 grain .375" bullet were readily available, perhaps. SNIP

Ah, but there is: the Sierra 200gr bullet Sierra web page

Note, however, that I totally agree with your comments regarding sectional density! This is damn near a round ball!

I've loaded them, but I don't have my load data at hand right now so I won't trust my (feeble) memory.

Also note, that I don't think they are useful bullets. Not only is their sectional density much like that of a dinner plate, but they are intended for the .375 Winchester (low velocity lever guns).

I have only used this Sierra 200g bullet for fireforming and shots at paper in my .375 H&H rifles, although it would be a good varmint load if you didn't want any big pieces of the varmint left!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded a dear round using the Hornady 220 gr flat point at about 2200. I use accurate xmp5744, it's accurate and a great match for smaller game at reasonable range (under 150 yds.). Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the lightest weight bullet you load in a .375 H&H? I've seen factory loads down to 250 gr. Does anyone load 200-225, or lighter? What is the limiting factor?

I'm moving close to buying a .375 H&H, but its use is limited to me if I have to shoot 250-300 gr. bullets all the time. It doesn't seem well matched to the game I would most often be hunting.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would hate to know what I grew up shooting in my .308 Win. For mule deer in New Mexico I loaded 125 Gr. Sierra spitzers. For Texas whitetail it was 110 Gr. Sierra hollowpoints. None of them ever got away. Low sectional density doesn't spook me.

I'm afraid a .375 H&H is going to be a DG or nothing gun for me, but that may be enough. If I can get a nice buffalo, and do nothing but hang the gun on the wall after that, I think I'll be O.K. with it.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote