Find
Notify
Tools

how full?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted
Guys I am using RL19 for the first time. Loading up one case each from 58-62 grains in a 30-06 and using Barnes TSX 168g. The reason I am posting here is I have never used that much powder in anyting and I no longer have my good scale that I used 20 years ago. I am using a Lee Safety scale and it seems that the case is nearly full and looks like the load will be slightly compressed. Is this the way it should be? I just want to make sure that my scale is close and not 20 grains off or something.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Your scale isn't wrong, it's hard to get 60+ grains of any extruded powder in the 06 cases w/o them being compressed.

I compared the Lee scale to a Dillon beam, Lyman beam, and a Digital and was surprised that it was dead on w/ several different weights. The only thing I don't like about the little lee scale is it's sensitivity to air movement. Every time the AC cuts on you have to shut the vents off and close the door to use the dang thing but, it works great.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Thanks. I wanted confirmation before I started pulling bullets. I also loaded 59, 60, 61, 61.5 and 62 grains for the 168g XLC. That's what got me to worrying. This is the first time I have loaded any sort of a bottleneck cartridge so I'm going along slowly.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at Barnes Data for the XLCs. My data shows 62 grns as Max w/ regular Cup and cores, Barnes' max is usually below the max for plain bullets. The XXX seems to do just fine w/ normal bullet data due to the less friction from less bearing surface. You may want to look at some barnes data and verify before putting those XLC loads down range.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
The Barnes manual is where I got the data. It shows 57-62 grains for the XLC and 55-60 for the X and as we know they suggest being able to go 1-2 grains over X data for the TSXs which only coincidentaly equals the XLC loads.

I shot these off last night and while I was disappointed with the velocities (almost 200 fps slower than what I projected for this rifle) I was please with the rifle and loads. Over the different charges I had groups nearly going into 1 hole. This was 1 round of each charge weight. I shot 5 of each bullet and 4 of the TSX made a ragged line to the northeast and one about an inch farther in the same direction. The XLCs made a line almost straight north of barely over an inch. Still, slightly over 2800 fps is plenty with a 168g bullet for me for TN deer.