New
Find
Notify
Tools

CONFUSED
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents, I sized, and trimmed some 223wssm cases. After sizing I had some trouble with about 12 of 30 cases fitting into my Wilson trimmer case holder (yes it's sized for the wssm line of cartridges).

I automatically thought large chamber, something wrong with the die. So I start with the concentricity gage. Max runout was .0005 with many having .0000 runout. So that wasn't it. Then I checked them all in a Wilson case gage; all were dead nuts.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, it looks like my case trimmer holder is off???? Any other possibilities?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Data for the WSM and WSSM line of cartridges often yields very high pressures. Even factory loads have a reputation for generating excessive pressure. The issue you are having with the collet of your trimmer not accepting the cases could be the result of expanded case heads. Have you mic-ed the diameter of the case heads which will not enter the holder to see if they are expanded?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did and all is good.

I was informed by another that it's possibly due to the fact that some of the Wilson case holders are for fired cases...thus sizing them before trimming would cause a tight fit.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
Yes, I did and all is good.

I was informed by another that it's possibly due to the fact that some of the Wilson case holders are for fired cases...thus sizing them before trimming would cause a tight fit.

There's little point in trimming prior to sizing, as the act of sizing has a direct effect on case length. Methinks the issue lies elsewhere.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biscut,
I have some Wilson case holders that are for fired cases and some for sized cases. Try a fired case.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
Gents, I sized, and trimmed some 223wssm cases. After sizing I had some trouble with about 12 of 30 cases fitting into my Wilson trimmer case holder (yes it's sized for the wssm line of cartridges).

I automatically thought large chamber, something wrong with the die. So I start with the concentricity gage. Max runout was .0005 with many having .0000 runout. So that wasn't it. Then I checked them all in a Wilson case gage; all were dead nuts.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, it looks like my case trimmer holder is off???? Any other possibilities?

If I understand your problem, your cases are too large to fit into the wilson trimmer case holder?

If so, your problem could be that the "chamber" of the case holder is SAAMI specs and you are not bringing your fired cases back to that spec.

The WSSM's are, as has been previously mentioned, a high pressure round, running around 65,000 psi. and the brass cases are quite a bit thicker than other brass. They require a bit of "cam over" in order to resize back to original dimensions when setting up your sizing die. This is especially true if fired in an AR platform as the AR's unlock the bolt before breech pressure has dropped to zero.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The WSSM's are, as has been previously mentioned, a high pressure round, running around 65,000 psi. and the brass cases are quite a bit thicker than other brass. They require a bit of "cam over" in order to resize back to original dimensions when setting up your sizing die. This is especially true if fired in an AR platform as the AR's unlock the bolt before breech pressure has dropped to zero.

BINGO! That is what appears to be the cause. I dropped the die to cam over a touch and they now fit.