New
Find
Notify
Tools

marrying powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for the curiosity value, I remember reading that in South Africa they don't have a commercially availiable powder suitable for .375H&H so they marry up a mix.

How do you know what ratio to use? can it be safely done?

I have no intention of doing any of this, I don't think I could make up a powder mix that is better than what Vhita vuori make... [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
In Africa they have a limited number of pwders w/ dofferent burning rates. Here in the states, we can get just about anything, so I see no reason to experiment mixing powders. In reading about it & talking to a friend of mine who lives in RSA & loads his own, they mix equal portions by weight in the scale & put it in the cart.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The manufacturers do that anyway, only they call it blending of batches to get speed they want.
The folks in SA have found combinations that works,so it is safe.ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the 375 we have 2 very good powders - S335 and S341. What we do not have is an equivalent for IMR4064. To remedy that we make a 50:50 mix of S335 and S365 and call it S355. I understand Somchem are about to introduce a powder equivalent to IMR4064.

Do a search on Duplexing on the this forum.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mix RL19 and RL15, do you get RL17? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote