New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 500 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
buddy has one and after popping off a few factory whatevers he asked if i could load him DOWNLOADED 325 grainers. said recoil was too stiff. ya think??? anyway i went to 3-4 sites looking for some, no luck. if anyone thats brave enough to own/shoot one a these things and uses a bullet around that weight please let me know where you get em from. i told him i could download a 500 grainer but hes stuck on a 325 or lighter. thanks

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems like cast would work well for that. Low pressure means you can just tumble lube. Far cheaper than any jacketed 50cal I've seen. Depending on how many you want, you could probably work out something with one of the guys here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I think they have a forum for swapping bullets that lets people try stuff before investing in a mold.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
buddy has one and after popping off a few factory whatevers he asked if i could load him DOWNLOADED 325 grainers. said recoil was too stiff. ya think??? anyway i went to 3-4 sites looking for some, no luck. if anyone thats brave enough to own/shoot one a these things and uses a bullet around that weight please let me know where you get em from. i told him i could download a 500 grainer but hes stuck on a 325 or lighter. thanks

I use 3 bullets in weights you want:

Swift A-Frame + Lehigh Defense XP 325 gr (easy to get in USA, but brass Lehigh XP could be legal problem in your country)
Peregrine Hog 286 gr - ordered from manufacturer

There is also Lehigh Defense 240gr bullet and a lot of others out and there. Hawk for example. You can use any .50 AE bullet in .500 S&W.
Midway: https://www.midwayusa.com/bull...erSelectedSort=False

Some load data I developed: https://docs.google.com/spread...HBA/edit?usp=sharing

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now we're getting somewhere. thanks
i have no experience with this caliber at all except to have seen lee ermeys face on tv when he shot one. i decided right then 45-70 was enough for me in a handgun. now i'm thinking 45 colt is enough. being wore outs a bitch.

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use the Barnes XPB, available in 275 and 325 grains. I use unique for powder. Drive them at 1800 fps .... low recoil and this is accurate enough in my gun to hit a 12 oz coke can 5 of 5 times at 135 yards. This is the longest shot from my stand to the next ridge.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
now we're getting somewhere. thanks
i have no experience with this caliber at all except to have seen lee ermeys face on tv when he shot one. i decided right then 45-70 was enough for me in a handgun. now i'm thinking 45 colt is enough. being wore outs a bitch.

Yeah when we get older some of those "cannon" will rattle you for sure.

Shooting cast is a good alternative as someone mentioned here if your friend isn't opposed to that.