Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag O.A.L.
 Login/Join

posted
Just had a new barrel put on and it seems a long way out to the lands. O.A.L. if I am doing it correct is 3.56. Can this be correct or do you think something is wrong.
Thanks Troy

Posts: 13 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 03 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can test it, w/ a guage, or the dummy round test.
I have several rounds at 3.5 in my Sako 300WM.
It is also the a.o.l that gives me the best accuracy...sakofan...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry, It should be C.O.L. could be 3.56 and the box might take 3.45 Is this out of line? Will it kill any hope of being accurate?
Troy

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Your measurements are similar to my mod. 70 factory barrel (It measures 3.516" to the lands and magazine length is 3.403").

Out of the box, this rifle was not satisfactory in the accuracy dept, probably averaging 3-3.5 moa. Bedding was not what I would have expected from Winchester nor was the lockup. After considerable "tuning", have managed to get it to shoot 1 1/4 moa five shot groups with 200 gr Sierra Game Kings. Retumbo & H 450 are showing some promise, but IMR 4350 seems to be slightly better. Best results with all three powders has been between 2700 & 2800 fps.

So far, all ammo has been loaded to 3.335 overall length. Next will vary the length, hoping to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of it.

quote:
Will it kill any hope of being accurate?
Troy

I don't think your long throat will make it impossible to work up a good load, although many rifles do shoot best with less bullet jump.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I must have been tired this morning..aol,duh...should read C.O.L...sakofan

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used 200 grain Noslers with R22 and have hit 2880 fps in the past. It was a real winner and was very accurate. But the jump wasn't so far to the lands. So this is combo I will work with and hope for the best in the accuracy department.
Thank's for your help
Troy

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I have Sierra's 190MK seated to 3.522" in my Sendero. This is "touching" the lands. These loads will fit in my magazine but i singly load em anyway....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't ever tried it, but you might just be able to beat that magazine open a little. Have a buddy hold it on a vice, opened to maybe .5", front down, so that there's no sideways pressure, just so as to keep it from falling between the jaws. With a tube of the proper width (maybe look at iron piping at the hardware store, you want something that will fit in the mag, but almost touch the sides) laying across the front face (facing down, as I said) grab yourself a couple of hammers and give it a good, solid whack on both ends. Measure the inner length again, and repeat as necessary.
You'll prolly have to relieve the wood in front when you put it back in, but that ain't no biggie. Just be sure to seal it after.
Soon you'll have 3.5" long 300 win mags shooting ragged holes at slightly lower pressures than normal.

[If you do this, let me know how it works!]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just realized you said this was a new barrel.
My first thought in that case is that it is not headspaced properly, or more exactly, it has too much head clearance.
You need to get a set of go/no-go guages and check the depth from boltface to forward side of belt.
Whover did the barrel for you should be able to do it for you (free.)
I'm assuming you haven't fired anything in it.
If you have, did everything look kosher afterwards? No premature primer flattening or bulging cases?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a oal gauge and a good caliper. Once you get the oal then subtract 50 thousanths of an inch and use that as your starting point. You'll find that most bullets won't seat out as far as you measured and maintain enough bearing in the case. Plus there's the magazine length issue. These oal gauges are reasonably cheap and worth the money in my book.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's good that I live in a oil town with alot of machine shops. We used a press to make the box a big as possible and work on the front lip. It will now hold a 3.515 load.
The headspace is at 3thousands of an inch. which I am told is good.