New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Seating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started loading up some 45 ACP yesterday and noticed while seating primers with my rcbs hand priming tool it was leaving the primers just a hair from being flush. This is contributing to my O.A.L being a little higher than normal. However the feed and function throw three of my 1911's. Any suggestions as to what i can to to seat the primers a hair deeper?

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to acquire and try a primer pocket uniformer.

Like this one:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/pr.../Primer-Pocket-Tools

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Push harder! animal I don't know how the RCBS works, or if there's a way to increase the stroke of the primer ram. I know there isn't with the lee. Possibly the cam is worn too much, that's a warranty item to be taken up with RCBS.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes just a change in shellholders will allow you to go a bit deeper

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the primer pockets clean?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention i was using brand new starline brass and the rcbs hand priming tool is brand new. Yes i do have a primer pocket uniformer however i didnt use it thinking i wouldnt have to on new brass. I haven't looked for adjustment. Thanks BC

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to get an idea of the depth of your primer pockets with the other end of your caliper. You may not be getting the primers fully seated, which will cause misfires. I had a slight problem with getting complete seating with my last batch of StarLine. I found that rotating the cases and applying pressure twice gave complete and uniform seating. I attributed it to the tool I was using, but the brass could not eliminated as a contributor.

Be sure that you're using pistol primers. The rifle primers are taller. Same goes for your uniforming tool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
...the primers just a hair from being flush. ...
What would concern me is the remote possibility of a Slam-Fire. Might never happen, but stuff like that needs to be corrected. Good for you about asking.

It takes more effort on new Cases with my Lee Hand-Held Primer Tool too. Real snug is good though.
-----

Put one of the Cases that has the Primer properly Seated in the RCBS Tool and look at how close the end of the Seating Lever is to the Seater Body. Then do the same with one that is protruding slightly. If they are not the same distance, then you might have just "short stroked" the process. And once the Primer has stopped moving, it is difficult to get it going again.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't load for .45 ACP, I'm with the other guys on unforming the primer pocket. I always uniform the pocket whenever I reload a case and the one from Sinclair is tops in my book. Put it in an electric drill & go to town.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a large pistol primer pocket uniformer afetr each firing. Brass flows into the primer pocket. Better to use the uniformer to clean and re-cut than a wire cleaner.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote