Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the Law?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted
As I live in New Zealand and have had some projectiles and brass sent to my father inlaw in Nevada from Cabelas.
These are to be shipped to New Zealand.
He is concerned about the federal law yous guys have, is this a problem and how can you get round it if it is one.
There is no problem at this end.
Thanks!!

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I don't think shipping empty unprimed brass or the bullets themselves is a problem at the USA end either.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
There is no law restricting or regulating the shipping of bullets or unprimed cases.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Powders and primers are the buggers for shipping. Brass and bullets are really no more than "machine parts" . . .

Which BTW . . . is what I declare when shipping gun parts to a smith or dealer. Post Office asks, "What's in the package?" I tell them it's machine tool parts -- which is what it is.

We all understand that the RECEIVER is viewed as the "gun" in the USA, right? All the other parts are just -- "parts."

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
milosmate,

I have received
from the US after the 11th September brass, bullets,...

You need a federal license from ATF for "live" rounds only. And now laws in the US for import/export seem to be more flexible thna just after the 11th Sep.

:
As I live in New Zealand and have had some projectiles and brass sent to my father inlaw in Nevada from Cabelas.
These are to be shipped to New Zealand.
He is concerned about the federal law yous guys have, is this a problem and how can you get round it if it is one.
There is no problem at this end.
Thanks!!
[/QUOTE]

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Interesting

All that being said..

Does anyone have any 5.45x18 or 5.7x28 brass they would care to ship this way? Range sweepingswould even be appreciated at this point. These are for wildcat project purposes only.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN the US you do not need a FFL to buy ammo just ask any of the mail order ammo places they ship ammo all the time to people with out FFL's. You have to mark it for haz purppose's. YOu also can buy primers and Powder with out a FFL.

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, regardless of what the law states, you are at the mercy of the customs inspection people when you bring anything to do with firearms into another country from the USA. Labelling it as "machine parts", or "parts' or "hobby supplies" are all technically correct, but the guy or gal who opens the box may have other opinions. I've done this dance with Canadian customs, and most of the time there hasn't been any problems, but once in awhile you get someone who thinks they "know better" and you're going to be spending a lot of time talking to officials. Find out exactly what your local laws are, and be ready to quote them chapter and verse on your behalf. Oh, and no matter what, don't stop moving firearms related gear (because then they win), and don't ever lose your temper with them. Treat them as the delicate little flowers that they wish to be. Hope this helps - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote