THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: For most .300WMs, what's the high end for FPS?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: For most .300WMs, what's the high end for FPS?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I was suspecting I might get some answers like these. This past weekend I tried a load for the first time that I read about on this forum. It said to use 78 grains of RL-22. All of my shots were screaming at well over 3100 FPS, with 3150 being about average. I backed the load down to 77 grains and still had bullets firing at comfortably over 3100. Accuracy remained very good with these loads as I was getting 3/4" groups and I did not see any pressure signs with either of these loads. That said, it sounds like I need to drop the charge a bit more.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I know that most factory loads with a typical 180 gr bullet are designed to err on the side of conservancy. We generally see them loaded to shoot in the 2900-2950 FPS area. For a newer gun for which we handload, is there a high range for FPS that we should try to stay under?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handloaded for a number of 300 Winchester Mag rifles and generally can safely attain a velocity of about 3050 fps with 180 grain bullets.

I used to own a Remington 700BDL that was chambered in 300 Win Mag and it would shoot 180 grain bullets 3200 fps with H 4831. But I have never seen another 300 Win Mag that would approach that velocity. Wish to hell I had not sold that rifle some times! Just owned too many 300 magnums at the time and needed some money for an elk hunt.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe about 3000 or 3050, though some claim more. My 200 grain bullets run at 2900 FPS with a 26" barrel, so I believe 3000 is realistic for the 180s.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you are making reference to the 180 grain loading that most of the factories are marketing (excluding the high energy/heavy magnum loads). I think Dave Petzal says it very well in the Nosler #4 manual in his introduction to the .300 Win Mag. where he states that 3150 is about all one can expect out of 24" barrel. Try for anything more and the tinkling noise you hear will be parts of your gun falling on the roof. Definitely not word for word, but that is the gist. I have run 180's between 3150 and 3200 (depending on bullet and powder charge) out of my 26" tube, but I don't think I would like to see any more than that. My 26" tube is pushing 200 grain accubonds out at an average of 3038 fps. This too, in my opinion, is getting to the outer reaches. This is done with 80 grains of H1000 (top load in the #26 manual with a m.v. of 2984). I am sure there are users with much more experience, but this is what I have found.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of a 26" barrel I think 3100-3150 reasonable. My 300 H&H will do 3000 fps. (maxed out) So there's no reason why the Win Mag shouldn't be able to comfortably exceed that.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No visible pressure signs with 3/4 inch groups with 77 grains of RL22 sounds reasonable to me. Might have a "faster" barrel than the average. Look at a few load books and see what they claim. I know of several that have velocities in excess of 3100 with 24" barrels.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your loads will most likely want to run from 75 to 77 grains rl22 for the 180 grain bullets. Doesn't sound too bad.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
As for my barrel, it's a stainless one that's on a custom gun I had made 12-14 years ago. Would that make a difference in its ability to handle a hotter load?

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Since I'm averaging about 3120 FPS with 77 grains, I still think I better drop it down to 76. I certainly don't want to hurt my gun. 77 grains was listed in my reloading book as being OK, but for my gun with speeds like this, it might be too much, even without the signs of excessive pressure.

<allen day>
posted
I had a Remington 700 KS Mountain rifle with a 24" barrel that produced 3140 fps. with 180 gr. Hornady bullets and IMR 4831.

Another .300 Win. on a Model 70 action with a 24" Hart barrel gives 3100 fps. with 180 gr. Nosler Partition Spitzers and Reloader 22.

I own a pair of custom Model 70 .300 Win. rifles with 24" Kreiger barrels that give 3075 fps. with 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Points and Reloader 22.

The fastest .300 Win. Mag. factory load I ever used was a batch of Federal High-Energy 180 gr. Trophy Bonded ammo that gave just over 3100 fps. out of a the above mentioned rifle with a 24" Hart barrel, and also produced about the same velocity out of another rifle (Model 70 action) with a 26" Kreiger tube.

From what I've seen over the last 24 years, the .300 Win Mag. can be safely loaded to somewhere between 3000 and 3100 fps. (on average) with a 24" barrel and 180 gr. bullets. Ask for more and you're really asking for too much unless you just happen to have a really fast barrel.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
From a general standpoint, none whatsoever. The only thing that might come into play would be a custom throat or something along those lines that one might find on a custom barrel, but like I said, the short answer to your question is "No."

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote