New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Par. vs Barnes X
 Login/Join

<8mman>
posted
Any one have experiences with either of these bullets? accuracy, effectivness on game, etc. I need to chose one to start reloading for my 8mm-06 but I have no experience with either. thanks

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
8mman,

The Nosler is the "standard against which all other game bullets are judged", at least a bizmillion gun writers have written that! The work fine, and are the threshhold of the premium bullet. Expect them to retain perhaps 85% at best. Generally they work, and the animal dies.

You could also begin with the Hornady Interlock Spire Point or the Speer Grand Slam. They all three work about the same for me.

I would start with lead cored bullets as you learn reloading, and save the Barnes X and other monometal bullets for later.

jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Foot 15-4E>
posted
The beauty of nosler Partitions are thay will work at velocities between 3000 down to 1600fps. Thay are more than suitable for ANY game animal in the U.S.. Thay most likely have accounted for more big game animals than any other premium bullet. Thay will work on everything from mice to moose. The key is to use the right weight bullet/caliber combo for the spacific game animal. In other words, dont expect a 140 grain .270 Partiton to preform like a 225 grain .338wm on a poor shot angle on game the size of Elk, and then blame the Bullet when it fails to kill the game quickly.
Regardless of what type of bullet you use, shot placement is everything.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Why pay twice as much for half as many bullets? Go Sierra...

But of the thwo you listed, Nosler is your better choice.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Nosler.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
I reload for the 8mm rem mag. I get over 3200 fps with the nosler 180 ballistic tip.
This is verified by chronograph.
accurate, fast, and kills deer.
probably would kill any animal in north america.
who needs a 300 rum when you've got a 8mm rem mag?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an 8mm-06 AI that I load for, and at the speeds the cartridge is capable of, I don't see a lot of differance in bullet performance. I think you would be better off trying the everyday type of bullets first for accuracy, before worrying about maximum weight retention. In my rifle, Speers group the best. Go figure. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
I have loaded my 8x60 wiht Barnes X 180 gr. and got 1�" patterns with irons. The effect on game has been quite satisfying. There haven�t been any problems with fouling, although the Barnes X have lees good reputation for that.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<8mman>
posted
I am currently loading Sierra's and am very unsatisfied with there efectiveness. took forever to develope a load that would shoot 1"-1 1/4" and then when I shoot a deer with one this year I had to look for it all night and into the morning! Went in and broke up imediatly and shredded the lungs.

<6.5 Guy>
posted
I like both Partitions and X Bullets. I use whichever one will shoot better in a particular rifle that I am working a load up for. The Partitions on average shoot more accurately across the board, but in a couple of my rifles, the XLC blue coated bullets just plain drive tacks.

I haven't noticed an excessive amount of copper fouling using XLCs, as long as ALL the copper from jacketed bullets is cleaned from the bore prior to using them. I also have noticed that seating depth seems to matter far more with X bullets than with others, as far as accuracy goes. It takes more fiddling to find the "sweet spot" with the Xs.

Overall, I'm satisfied with both, but if I could use only one style of bullet for all rifles, I would chooose the Partition.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't shoot X bullets if I had a lifetime supply! They just coat my barrels and accuracy dies after 5 or so rounds. Then it's 1 or 2 hours of scrubbing to get things back to normal. Partitions rule......period.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I'm looking forward to getting an 8mm-06 one day. My game plan to load for it is the same as I do for my other rifles: Use some Speers or Hornady's to work up a load, then switch to some Noslers or Hawks for the final premium workup. However, I have to say that the Hornady does well in its own right, so I usually finalize a Hornady workup to compliment the premium.

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<TGWoody>
posted
Nosler's are very very good, but I got hooked on Berger.

I called for some ballistic info and ended up talking to Mr. Berger, was I impress!
A wealth of information.

TGW