New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 300 Savage brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if 300 Savage brass can be formed from 243/7-08/308 casings? I greatly appreciate any advice from those that have used these or any other casings.

Posts: 31 | Location: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300Sav and the 308Win are almost identical right up to the shoulder. The shoulder angle and neck length are the main difference.
You should be able to just run the 308Win brass thru a 300Sav die, and trim to length.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 Savage could theoretically be formed from any of these three, but the .308 should work much better since you won't have to expand any necks. .308 brass is usually cheaper and more plentiful than the others, anyway.

Some people will tell you that you'll have to ream the necks of brass formed from .308, but since most chambers are somewhat oversized, it is likely that unreamed necks will actually come closer to fitting your .300 chamber. I would only thin the necks if necessary for concentricity.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 brass is the only brass I use anymore for my 300 savage in my contender.

The standard 300 savage sizing die will work fine, but trim the 308 brass down prior to sizing and then recheck the length.

I tried sizing before trimming and with the dies I have, I was not able to fully full length size the brass.

Also, my chamber is of very close tolerance and when I need to full length size, I use a small base sizer. Sometimes using the standard die, I would have to force the round in to the chamber and with the SB sizer, there is a normal chambering.

It's cheaper brass and IMO, the only way to go with the 300 savage, unless you go with the rimmed version using the 307 brass and go through the same sizing and trimming operation.

Have fun & good luck,

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recently made a bunch from millsurp .308. Its damn near the same case. It works great but you need to reduce loads just a bit because of the extra thickness of the brass.

Posts: 10171 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mil-surp .308 brass will be cheaper, but Russell Sports in Calgary lists new Remington brass.
http://www.russellsports.com/files/f81-100.pdf

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I recently made a bunch from millsurp .308. ...It works great but you need to reduce loads just a bit because of the extra thickness of the brass.

Hey 6mm, Using MilSpec cases really is a good idea for the 300Sav, because of the extra thickness Wstrnhuntr mentioned. This is because the M99 is a "Rear Lock-Up" action which flexes slightly.

Due to the action flexing, you end up with "Case Stretch" just ahead of the Case Head. Basically it can cause Incipient Case Head Separations which you need to check for with the old bent Paper Clip trick.

Anyway, use the Once-Fired MilSpec cases and you can save a bit of money as well as extend the caselife a bit.

By the way, having converted a bunch of 308Wins into 300Sav, I can tell you for sure that you want to come up with a good case trimming tool. Just trim a few at a time (say 30) and it won't drive you bonkers.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the advice. My son is looking forward to much practice and use in the field with his Remington 722 now that their is no shortage of brass.

Posts: 31 | Location: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hot core makes a good point. I shot some nib remington factory loads from my '99 and they all began to show signs of head seperation. None of the millsurp brass did.

Posts: 10171 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote