Find
Notify
Tools

.257Wby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted
I have started loading for my Vanguard SS, and have the following components.

Powder : H4831,RL22,RL25,7828SSC
Bullets : 100gr TSX, 110gr Accubond

Anyone else shoot this caliber and rifle, and how does it perform?

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IanD,

I've tried numeous powders and bullets over the years for my 257 accumark. Used to be a H870 fan w/ 100 and 120 gr partitions. Currently my go to load for hogs and deer is a 100 gr. partition over 73 gr. of IMR 7828ssc and federal 215m primers. Velocity is a tad over 3600 fps. Weatherbys have freebore so don't try to touch the lands. My OAL is 3.255". Two of the largest hogs I've ever shot were killed with this load. Shot one straight on in the head an one behind the ear Both at approx. 120 yds. They were DRT.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A max load of RL 22 over a 100 grs TSX has made many a hunter happy... If you use the search facility here, you'll run into RL22 being used a lot for the .257 Wby. Velocity claims are fast and furious, but ~3600 fps is probably not unrealistic in a 26" barrel. I can't think of a better bullet at those speeds than the TSX - assuming it will shoot in your rifle.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the grandstand.
Don't have a 257 Wby, but read several posts by guys on another forum who recommend RL-22 as the best powder for that chambering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're in the right area. Don't discount RL19 for the 100 grainers. Try the 7828 for the 110 Accubonds. If that doesn't work go to the RL22 or 25.

Realguns.com 257 Wby load data

Realguns also has some articles on loading the 257 that are probably worth a read.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho,

99% of my reloads are developed with the sole intention of being used in the taking of game. They are not developed for target shooting. Consequently, reasonable accuracy, not velocity is the holy grail. Having said that,to me, in the 240 weatherby and 257 weatherby, velocity and flat trajectory are the ultimate reason for owning and hunting with these chamberings. As part of my load development I chrony and record all of my loads. I last shot my 257 weatherby accumark w/26" barrell on June 15 2007, about 6 pm in the evening at a local range.
The velocities measured 10' from the muzzle using my shooting chrony for 5 shots were, 3616,3655,3657,3680,and 3678 fps. Accuracy was excellent.
AS to RL 22, I can get 3600 fps with 74gr of rl-22 but in my rifle the groups open up to about 8" at 100 yds.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, I hope you did not take my remark about "velocity claims" as directed at you? I was solely referring to what one will unearth by the use of the search facility here. In any event, I find your numbers quite believable. I get a bit less than 3600 fps in my .257 Wby with the 100 grs TSX from a 25.5" barrel.

It really is a neat round, nonexistent recoil with banjo string trajectory. Only the wind bucking ability could be a bit better, and you have to be careful not to let your barrel get too hot.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHO,

negatory and no problem on this end.
In fact I have no problem being challenged as to the veracity of my posts here.
I have a good friend who lives in Shannon Ireland. He has a saying - "A lie well told will serve as good as the truth anyday".
However,there are so many posters here that are so much more knowledgeable than I, that I make sure I can back up my posts at the risk of being embarrassed.

gwb

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
I have not been having very good success so far. My groups are around 1.5" 3 shots @ 100yds. I am wondering if it is the plastic factory stock?

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my Mark V 257, I use 72.5gr of IMR-7828 with 100gr Partitions but back off to 70gr of IMR-7828 with the 110gr Accubonds. Both loads give me half inch groups at 100yds.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
Well, I took out my 257WBY and since it is not for targets but for hunting, I wanted to be able to take long shots with a flat trajectory. I decided that I would take any group with my 100gr TSX under a 1/2" as long as I was over 3650fps, but wanted if I could to be over 3700fps. I used IMR4350, IMR7828, RL-22, RL-25, and Norma MRP. Now I had high expectation for IMR7828, RL-25 and RL-22. I new I could not get velocity out of the IMR4350 but tried it anyway. Now I could get accruacy out of all of the powders but was in the low 3600fps range. I did not have any confidence in MRP as far as accuracy because in all the years I have used it, I have found that only about 10% of the time does it give me the accuracy I want, but also new MRP would give me high Vel. as it does all most all the time. Well, I was surprised to say the least. MRP gave under a half inch and did it at and average of 3712fps for the three shots. I think it could have even been better but I was shooting another rifle to allow my 257WBY between groups to cool. I was shooting a group of 240gr Woodliegh bullets out of my 30-06 Ackley Imp just before I shot the .458" group using MRP. I am using a 6-18x40mm Buckmaster SF BDC.

OAL was 3.171 for my rifle and that was the sweet spot.

Posts: 63 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote