New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-FLR for Hot Core?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, on the partial-full length resizing, how much of the neck are you resizing? From what I read here, you resize until the bolt closes with a little snug. I can close the bolt easily on a non-resized case. I have my full length die set up to resize about 1/2 of the neck only, I guess that would be partial neck sizing with a full length die???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin,
I mark the neck with a black majic marker and start working my way down the neck. Just before I get to the shoulder, I stop. The bulets generally chamber well and aren't "worked" to death. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I know, it depends on the die. If you are using RCBS, they refer to it as partial length re-sizing, and supposedly it actually partially resizes the case body as well as the neck.

My experience is that you only need to size enough of the neck to make sure the bullet is held securely. And eventually, case growth is going to require to full length size. The bolt will get harder and harder to close. When that happens, full length sizing and trimming is required...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
HC should be along before too long, if he's not too busy planting his tomatoes. Big Grin

If you a Partial Full Length Resizing then you are resizing the entire neck and pushing the shoulder back between .001" and .003" so that a little crush fit is remaining.

Using a full length die, raise the ram and thread the die down until it touches the shell holder. Then back the die back out about 3/4 turn. That is approximately the point at which the die begins to resize the case body. About 3/4ths of the neck is resized at that point. When it first starts to resize the case body, the shoulder is pushed forward and makes the case harder to chamber. As you thread the die further in more and more of the case body and neck is sized until about 1/4 turn past where it contacts the shell holder where the shoulder begins to be pushed back. That point is PFLR. If you go further the shoulder is pushed back far enough so there is no crush fit and that is Full Length Resizing.

With a Stoney Point Head and Shoulders Gauge this progress is easy to monitor. thumb

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Justin, You are getting some fine responses above. And it seems that our old buddy Woods is even a mind reader. The tomato seeds are scheduled for planting indoors today!!! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
Ok, on the partial-full length resizing, how much of the neck are you resizing?
The way my FL Dies are set, the entire Case Neck ends up being Resized, the Case Wall is reduced in diameter from the Pressure Ring to the Shoulder Junction(which results in the Case lengthening) and finally the Shoulder is pushed back just enough that the Case is a snug-fit as the Bolt closes.

quote:
From what I read here, you resize until the bolt closes with a little snug. I can close the bolt easily on a non-resized case.
Me too. The Case needs to be Fired with a strong enough load so it has Expanded to fill the Chamber before this works. I Fire-Form new cases with an inexpensive bullet using a Load that is strong enough to expand them properly.

Once you have some Cases that have been Fired is when the FL Die is adjusted to P-FLR. And the Die might need a slight bit of adjustment after a couple of firings which can be "felt" in how snug thebolt closure actually is. It doesn't take long to develop the feel for this routine.

quote:
I have my full length die set up to resize about 1/2 of the neck only, I guess that would be partial neck sizing with a full length die???
I agree.

And it should do right well for you until the Case lengthens enough that the Bolt becomes difficult to close. Then you will need to screw the FL Die in just a bit more to shorten the distance from the Case Head to the Datum Point on the Shoulder. (You will be Resizing the entire Neck then.)

If at that time you push the Shoulder back just enough so that the Bolt closes with a bit of resistance, then you will be P-FLRing.

And if you go just a bit farther, then you will be FL Resizing.
---

If you are happy with the accuracy you are getting with P-NS w/FL Die, it is easy to have the best of both.

Once the Bolt begins closing with difficulty and you have to adjust the FL Die in a bit more to do either P-FLRing or FLRing, set the Jam Nut on the FL Die Body so you can return to this exact same position.

Then use washers to space the Die up so you can return to P-NS w/FL Die. You want very "flat" washers to do this with so you don't end up canting the Die. Fortunately RCBS makes just what you want. Just stop by the place where you can buy RCBS Dies and tell them you need 2 of the Spacers that come with either the 357Mag or 44Mag Die Sets.

They measure 0.130" and with two of them you can raise the Die which is set to P-FLR or FLR by 0.260" which should be enough (depending on the length of your Neck) so you can go right back to P-NS w/FL Die.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. These cases have been fired over a normal load of varget so they should be fitted to my chamber, yet they easily cycle through my bolt. So, I smoked the neck and shoulder of the brass and set the rcbs full length die to resize approx. 1/2 of the neck and still can cycle the brass effortlessly. I just hope I have enough neck tension to hold the bullets firmly.

So, to PFL, I should keep lowering the die until I can see the shoulder is being touched by the die? I now understand that by PNS, I am partially resizing the body with can push the shoulder forward a little. I need to go past this point to PFL and allow the shoulder to be bumped by the die. I may smoke some more brass and adjust the die down until I start to see contact.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
...So, to PFL, I should keep lowering the die until I can see the shoulder is being touched by the die?
Actually, I recommend you go by the "feel" of the Bolt Closing when trying to P-FLR.

Just turn the Die in 1/8th turn, Lube a Case, squash it, wipe off the Lube and try it in the Chamber.

Repeat until you "feel" it become harder to close the Bolt on that empty case. At some point, you may not be able to close the Bolt at all. Then turn the Die in 1/16th turn and do the Lube/Resize/De-Lube/ in the Chamber again.

All of a sudden the Bolt will be noticably easier to close and you have just gone "past" where you want to be.

Back the Die out just a Tad and try another case.

Once you get the "feel" for it, it goes faster than you can read this info.

quote:
I now understand that by PNS, I am partially resizing the body with can push the shoulder forward a little.
This might be a bit confusing, but it depends on the Chamber Dimensions and the FL Die Dimensions.

You "might be" resizing a bit of the Case Wall if the Chamber Dimensions are Large in comparison to the FL Die Dimensions. On the other hand, if the Chamber is on the Tight side, your FL Die might not be touching the Case Wall - yet, but it eventually will if you go to P-FLRing.

quote:
I need to go past this point to PFL and allow the shoulder to be bumped by the die. I may smoke some more brass and adjust the die down until I start to see contact.
That is good. Be sure to "feel" how the Bolt is closing as you go.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as per HC's instructions, I have begun some testing in this vein. I simply set the die to pull the shoulder fwd by .002" and let the die dimension dictate the amount it will size the nk. Benchrest guys have been known to only size 1/3,.so if you can get 1/2-3/4 of the nk you are plenty good. I have had no issues with feeding or chambering using this method and have thus far had good success.

if you don't have oen already, get a headspace tool to measure off the datum line to set your dies exactly where you want them.0

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote