Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with .240 weatherby magnum
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Vanguard S2 in .240 cal. when reloading my rounds seem to chamber to tight. I have been loading for over 30 years, i have reset my dies and checked casings. Everything looks alright but still hard to chamber,an i know thats not correct. looking for other advice or someone that has experinced the same problem

Posts: 1 | Location: california | Registered: 21 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Welcome

Is this a new issue?

First thing I would do is coat a loaded case with black magic marker and see where the case or bullet is contacting. After that is known then better advice can be given.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a Ruger 1 in 6.5 x 300 Wby several years ago. I made my cases by necking down 300 Wby brass. Evidenyly I was not consistent in the necking down process. All chambered and shot but when I neck sized them, Some would chamber fine and others would not. Perplexed the hell out of me for a while. I came to the conclusion that I had somehow buldged the case body just to the rear of the shoulder or pushed the double radioused shouldd too hard or had a poorly cut die. Ordered a new die from a different maker and fixed the problem. Good luck w/ yours.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
"Reset my dies" should mean that it is touching the shell holder. Hard. I like the press to cam over a bit if I want max sizing to occur. Make sure you have that or your brass might end up too long at the shoulder to chamber, which is your problem. Only other thing is that your bullets are seated too long, which is unlikely in a Wby.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
You don't give all the data needed so.....
Are the dies new? Have you used them before?
Bullet seated out too far touching the rifling?
Is the shoulder too far forward?
Did the seated bullet bulge the case neck?

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem, very hard bolt close on my reloads.
I was using RCBS dies. I went to my reloading shop and they resized a couple of my fired cases in a set of Redding dies. That solved the problem, instantly. Not sure if my RCBS dies were a little sloppy (they were new) or the Redding dies were a little tighter.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, all dies are not the same; I have faced off many dies in a lathe to get a few thousands less base to shoulder distance. That is cheaper than randomly buying new dies hoping they are shorter. Did a 308 die for a guy last week who had a short chamber and springy brass.
Did those dies ever work for you or is this a first time thing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can get around this problem by careful and thorough sizing.
Lube all cases well, size very slowly, restract the case a little and rotate it. Size again slowly with a 2 or 3 second dwell at the full up position of the ram. Then pull your case out and see if it will chamber after the slow sizing gave the brass time to move.

quote:
Originally posted by scratch1:
I have a Vanguard S2 in .240 cal. when reloading my rounds seem to chamber to tight. I have been loading for over 30 years, i have reset my dies and checked casings. Everything looks alright but still hard to chamber,an i know thats not correct. looking for other advice or someone that has experinced the same problem

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my 375 Weatherby and Redding dies, the chamber is at minimum and the dies just don't size the case enough with a standard shell holder.
The easiest fix, and cheapest, was to turn the top of the die down by .010" reducing the distance from .250" to .240". This gives me just enough adjustment to set my fired case dimension to be .002" under chamber spec.
To do this and determine the correct amount to take off the top of the shell holder you need a set of feeler gauges that range from .001"-.040" or more. I started at .003" under the case and went up in .002" increments until I got a case that was a sloppy fit in the chamber, then adjusted my die until I got a .002" bump. It has worked to this day without a hitch.
Shell holders are cheap, dies are not!

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never face off a shell holder; I use them for more than one type of ammo and I like to leave them standard. The die, on the other hand, can be adjusted up and down, if you face some off the bottom.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll throw this out as a possibility. I got a batch of 300 H&H Winchester brass several years back that even brand new and full length sized were difficult to chamber. I had loaded quite a bit with the dies I have and never had a problem. Tried them in another rifle so chambered and had the same issue. Turned out the belt was just a touch on the long side making it difficult to chamber. I bought more brass and the issue went away. Ramrod's suggestion is a good one.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote