New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt and heavy bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have load data for colt 45 with heavy bullet at SAA levels? By heavy I mean between 325gr and 350gr?

I have searched high and low and have not found anything. There are some at "Ruger" levels out there but I am looking for something 16k to 20k psi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some loads @ http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm
They are for 300gr bullets, no mention of whether they are suitable/safe for the SAA.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestion...I did look there but some of those loads look mightly hot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand your need for a heavy, slow boolit in the SAA! You can't drive them fast enough to stabilize with the twist rate. Heavy boolits work fine in Rugers, etc, because you can use heavy loads. They don't shoot good in these guns either if shot slow with low pressure loads.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have a bunch of 340gr bullets left over from loading 45-70 and was curious about using them in my New Vaquero. You are probably right that I won't get them to shoot well but that won't stop me from trying.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the diameter of those leftover .45-70 bullets. Most .45 rifle bullets are sized .457-.458 while .45 pistols will need a .452-.454 diameter slug.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if you resize those bullets down to .452 they will shoot about a foot high at 25 yards. Assuming they aren't tumbling first. You must have a shit-pot full of those bullets to want to use them up that bad.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sized them to .452 already.

I really don't care if I use them or not 'cause I'll remelt them if I can't get them to shoot. I am just curious if it can be done...get them to shoot accurately that is.

Well common thinking is heavy slow will increase barrel dwell time which produce high POI. I have found there is a point where as you slow down enough then POI starts dropping. I didn't consider that they may tumble as I believe the formula for stability is dependent on length (not weight) and these bullets are not what I would consider overly long.

I do appreciate the various comments as they force me to think thru this. Thanks.